1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to change this type of Rear Brake PADS with this Caliper? - UK 2004 Prius Gen 2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by afia2k8, Jun 23, 2020.

1. afia2k8

afia2k8 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys,

I thought I'd tackle changing the Rear brake discs and pads today. But I've never seen these kind of brake pads with this Caliper before. I've tried going on google and youtube, but nothing comes up with these specific types of brake pads. Any one know of a youtube video or picture guide covering this kind of brake pads?

Here's the link for:
    1. new brake pads https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/eicher-premium-brake-pad-101820189
    2. and brake hardware: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/pagid-brake-pad-fitting-accessory-107820228

It's also kind of weird as the closest bolt to you is the Caliper mounting bolt, whilst the Bolt at the back behind the brake disc seems to be the Guide pin. I decided to put it all back together as I didn't know what I was doing.

Also, does it seem like these rear discs and pads need doing? I just thought of doing it because of the rust, as it's making an occasional scraping noise. I've pushed all the dust shields so i'm pretty sure it's just the rust making the noise. Apart from that it brakes fine.

20200623_122243.jpg 20200623_122003.jpg

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I haven't been following the political details of whether UK can still get to the repair manuals on toyota-tech.eu or there is some other place one has to go now.

The thickness of those pads looks just fine to me. If I had everything apart that far, I would continue and just take the calipers off (keeping the hose attached), clean the rust off the pad pins and other surfaces the pads slide against, see to it that things move freely.

Obtain rubber caps for those bleed screws. There's an open passage through the center of a bleed screw, meaning when left open like that it will rust securely into the caliper from the outside and from the inside, sometimes becoming impossibly stuck. My first Prius was, I think, my first vehicle that I remember coming with rubber caps on the bleeders, which struck me at first as an extravagance, but it means bleeding the brakes goes effortlessly every time.

I still remember the wars I had with bleed screws before that. Sometimes I eventually managed to get one out. Once I took the whole wheel cylinder off and got the bleeder loosened by a guy with a torch. Other times I simply broke it off and ended up replacing calipers that were otherwise just fine. For a while I had one bleed screw that I kept after finally getting it removed and without damaging the caliper. I might have a photo of it somewhere. You could barely tell what it was. The end was pounded flat by the efforts I had needed to get it loose.

The rubber cap makes all those adventures go away.

I suppose it might be a little past time for the bleeders I see in these photos. It might be worth trying (moderately; give up if you would have to struggle or risk breaking it) to get those open and, if you can, replace them with new bleeders, and rubber caps.

3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That site is still linked from Toyota (GB)’s page (click the Find manual button under Repair Manuals, lower right), and in any case, you don’t have to be in Europe to subscribe, as long as you can pay in euros.