1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to check for potential steering/tranny issues in 2001?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by xunkn0vvnx, Apr 14, 2008.

1. xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am looking at purchasing a used 2001 Prius. I've been doing research and reading other people's threads and learned that a significant amount of owners have had steering column problems as well as transmission problems that are quite expensive repairs ($1500-$3000).

I plan on checking out the car this week. Is there a possible way to check for these problems and also any other potentially large cost problems? It is a 2001 Prius with 80k miles for $9000.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest that you take the car for an extended test drive; hopefully any latent problems will manifest themselves. Look for the various warning lights (i.e., red triangle master warning light, check engine light, brake, airbag) to come on when the car is IG-ON, then they should go off once the car is READY and the parking brake is released.

A steering problem will be really obvious as the steering wheel will vibrate violently. When the transaxle fails you will notice excessive drivetrain noise and the car may refuse to move.

The good news is that you will be covered under Toyota's hybrid system warranty for another 20K miles or when the car reaches 8 years of age whichever comes first. This will cover the traction battery, battery ECU, and inverter.

The bad news is that when an expensive problem decides to happen, there usually is no advance warning. One day the car is great. The next day the instrument panel looks like a Christmas tree. So it is hard to predict your likelihood of a future expensive repair event.

Good luck.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I agree with everything that Patrick posted but would add that anyone buying a used car should assume they will have maintenance to perform in the first year. At a minimum:
    • tires in the first year
    • all lubricants once you get the title
    Personally, I think the asking price is a bit high for that car and would recommend looking for the last model of the NHW11, 2003. Check Kelly as well as "completed sales" in Ebay to get a better idea of the fair market value.

Now as a project car, a 2001 would be a great learning machine. It will allow you to fully understand the vehicle and systems. But I would recommend having or keeping a 'fall back' car for times when the car is 'down.'

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You should have a Toyota shop search the VIN if it had power steering assembly replacement, and for that matter for other 'highlights' of the maintenance history.

For the transaxle, you could make a condition of the sale that the pan underneath does not have an excessive quantity of metal flakes in it. Defining excessive may not be easy, but there is at least one photo posted on Prius Chat of flakes on a magnetic drain bolt. maybe that could serve as a starting point.

We do not know for certain what degree of metal wear inside the transaxle indicates that a failure is imminent. But it seems reasonable that the less, the better.

Would like to know more about how this deal progresses.

5. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the problems are just apparent here because most of us ask for help.

there arent many problems with the 01, i honestly like the 01s drivetrain more than the newer gen.

6. xunkn0vvnx

xunkn0vvnx New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Very insightful advice. Thanks everyone. It seems that now there is an issue with the title and mileage. The owner over-estimated the mileage when he claimed title to the pink slip and therefore the DMV is reporting this car as having a mileage discrepancy. I figured it's not worth the headache.

I've been looking and I think $9000 for a 2001 prius with HOV stickers and 80k miles is a good deal in CA. There is a definite premium paid when buying a car with HOV stickers.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I agree. This past Feb. I got $10K from my local dealer for my 2001 @ 75K miles with CA carpool stickers. My guess is that the dealer planned to sell the car for $13K or so...