1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to check heater core leak?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by niphonk98, Aug 3, 2016.

1. niphonk98

niphonk98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drained all the coolant from the radiator and engine. After I fill up and bleed the air from the system. I'm very sure no air inside the engine. The next day I found have air gurgling inside the heater core. Look like have a small leak but I check all the engine, host and radiator no leaks. The last think to think is heater core and heater core host. How can I check both parts? If they leak. How hard to change? Can I DIY?

2. Starship_Enterprius

Starship_Enterprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Try putting your air to recirculate and see if you can detect extra humidity on your windshield (that would be the coolant from the heater core hitting your windshield). Try using the heater as the AC might be dehumidifying the air

An auto shop should also be able to do a pressure test for you. But be aware if there is a leak in your heater core and the metal is weak, the pressure will only tear it wider.

Not sure how complicated a Prius dashboard is. I once took weeks to disassemble the dashboard of my 1990 VW Jetta. I did it very slowly and took a lot of notes, labelled ziplocs, and taped them together to make sure I have the screws taped to the correct parts for reassembly later (there were no cellphone cameras back then).

Since it was my daily driver I'd reconnect whatever I needed (ie. instrument cluster, fan / light switches, etc) and prop or let them hang while I drove to the office. Then I'd continue working at home at night. Had to break a few clips attaching the plenum to the firewall to finally get to the heater core and install a $30 heater core from a junk yard.

Putting it back was so much quicker. But I had to disassemble and reassemble that dash a couple of times after that to locate the squeaks that developed after. But after the 1st time, it is very easy to take off again.

#2 Starship_Enterprius, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you bleed air out of the CHRS system? If not, do that first before you become concerned about possible leaks.

It will not be very easy to get to the cabin heater core, the dashboard would have to be substantially disassembled for access.

valde3 and niphonk98 like this.
  4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're not getting coolant into the passenger cabin (liquid, vapor or odor), you probably don't have a heater core leak. If it were colder out, you'd be able to see coolant on the windshield in defrost mode. You should at least smell it.

What methods are you using to bleed the air from the engine coolant system? Are you using the upper bleeder valve on the radiator as well as running the CHRS pump? This is a very difficult system to bleed. The dealer mechanics often don't get it done right either.

valde3 and niphonk98 like this.