1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to check to ensure my battery is charging?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by F8L, Sep 14, 2006.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 12v battery is basically dead all the time now and even right now it seems to be charged up but the car is still freaking out when I try to start it up and it takes a few tries for the big orange triangle (dash display) to go away.

I have a new battery on order but I am wondering if I could have burnt up the inverter as well. Could I use a multimeter to test for voltage at the battery when the car is on (kinda like you would an alternator) or is there another way?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the inverter *should* be fine. once you get it started up, everything else works fine, right (like the radio, dash lights, overhead lights, etc)? If the battery is dead and those are working, then the power has to be coming from the inverter.

Whats the history with the battery? was it completely drained once or more times (say by leaving a light on over night, or leaving it sit for several weeks with the sks turned on or something normal like that)? or was this a sudden problem (like you ran into the store, came back 10 minutes later and it was dead)? Also, have to given the battery time to recharge once the car is on (you need to leave the car running for something like 15-30 minutes to ensure the battery is recharged. just a few minutes isn't enough)?

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 14 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]319559[/snapback]</div>

The battery has been drained and charge at least 3 times that I can remember. Its been on ongoing thing that started about a month or 2 after I installed a 4oow rpm amplifier. I am assuming the invterter does not recharge the 12v battery very quickly so I may just be playing the system too hard too often without much time to recharge the battery.

The car runs perfectly fine once you get it running so then that means the inverter is working ok?

I'm going to get a new battery today and lay off the system for a bit until I can come up with a better plan lol

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sure, just use the multimeter on the battery. voltage with car on should be higher than with car off.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 14 2006, 10:06 AM) [snapback]319565[/snapback]</div>

Figured that would work.

I tried it right before posting this and the charger was saying the battery was full and with the car on I was seeing 11.52v and the interior lights were flickering really bad. The car may not have been fully on though as I still had the orange triangle wanring thing on. I had only tried to turn it on to open the trunk since the door locks didnt seem to have enough power to work.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    uh oh. make sure it's on and try er again. is this with your amp on or off?

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 14 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]319578[/snapback]</div>
    That was with the stereo off.

I'm going to fiddle with it to get it into normal running mode (IE I could actually put it in gear and move it) then check the voltage with the stereo for sure off (ensuring the amp is off as well).

brb lol

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, with the car on and not in freak-out mode I am seeing 11.95v.

I did find out that the amp stays on even though the stereo is off. I got a call so didnt check to see if it was staying on with the car off but I had checked that when I first installed it.

Also with the car on the interior lights were at full power and not flickering so that is good news.

I'll pick up the new battery and report back :)

9. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 14 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]319594[/snapback]</div>
    That's too low. Don't be surprised if the new battery has the same problems. I don't think your getting enough charge, or maybe the amp is too big a draw??

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ Sep 14 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]319597[/snapback]</div>
    That is my main concern. I disconnected the amplifier completely before taking those readings. I just wasnt sure if I should be seeing 13.8-14v like a normal car or not.

11. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm, should be 13ish with the car on. make sure the amp is off so you can rule out a inverter/converter problem. if it's still low, well, let's hope it's not.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    K.I.S.S

So yeah, I went and bought a new battery after thinking I checked everyhting. Turns out one of the grounds to the chassis was loose. Lose enough it sparked and burnt the tip of mu finger when I wiggled it. Not sure how it worked itself loose but it sits somewhat out of view so I didnt see it was part of the mattery ground. I thought it was to just the amplifier.

Voltage with car on is now 14.09 with or without the amp on.

Thank you for the responses and I'll just go bury my head in shame now.

13. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, look at the good news. you don't have to bury your head in shame over blowing a $2800 inverter/converter. ;)

the car does strange things when the 12v is low or when it's not connected right. one more set of symptoms to add to the list.

14. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    At any rate, i'm glad it wasn't a more serious problem.

Earlier you said the amp was on when the radio was off... which wire did you tap for the control? I'd have to check, but I'm 99.99% sure my amp turns off with the radio, so it might just mean that you tapped a wire that happens to be hot whenever the car is on instead of just when the radio is on. if so (and if it's important enough to you to change - probably not), i could dig back in my notes and find the wire i tapped.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true :)

I cant remember which wire we tapped for power. I thought it turned off with the radio but apparently it doesnt. Just turns off with the car so its basically an ignition source. I will have to change that. Even though ther amp doesnt draw much in idle mode its still a draw.

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to be attempting to recover my guide this afternoon off my dead computer (it's the fiberglass install that people have been begging for since the server was hacked). There should be all the wiring info in it, which you're free to use to see which wire to tap.

On the other hand, how often do you just sit there with the stereo off but the car on? From my usage, i think it would just be something i would fix if i was in the area installing another mod, not a big enough deal to warrent digging in for it alone.