1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Clean Fuel Injection and Throttle Body

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Syongkwarn, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Syongkwarn

Syongkwarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I went to the dealer yesterday to have my Prius08 oil changed and checked up. The guy told me the it has carbon (it has 2.5 of something) built up so its fuel injection and throttle body need to be cleaned but it gonna coast me $249. Do you think it is a reasonable price? If it is, I want to let the dealer do it because I don't really know anything about car. If not, I wonder if I can do it myself. I would be appreciated if you would refer me to thread, website or video of how to. Thank you.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the odometer? If less than 100K miles and your engine does not exhibit any driveability symptoms such as hesitation, lack of power etc., then don't worry about throttle body cleaning.

If you buy off-brand gasoline and want to help your fuel injectors, buy a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner and add to the fuel tank according to the instructions on the bottle. That might cost you $10.

Throttle body cleaning, when done correctly, requires you to disconnect the mass air flow sensor wiring harness connector, remove the air cleaner housing, spray throttle body cleaner on a clean cloth or paper towel, then use that to scrub off the deposits on the throttle body interior and throttle plate. This will cost around $10 for the spray can of cleaner as well as tools and the knowledge about how to remove the air cleaner housing for access to the throttle body.

3. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Proper cleaning of the fuel injectors requires pulling them from the car. For $249, if that's the service you're getting, then it's a fair deal considering the time and effort involved... that being said, you don't need an injector cleaning unless your engine is performing poorly.

Sounds like they're trying to milk you for some money...

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  4. Syongkwarn

Syongkwarn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you for your advise. myPrius has 62k on it. It loses a bit of power when I do a fast acceleration. I don't know if it is a normal occurrence since Prius is a economic car.

It seems so. I'll what Patrick Wong suggested first. If they say some thing about it on the next check up, I'll just gonna let them do it.

5. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 08 has triple the mileage yours does, and I have cleaned the throttle body 1 time, never cleaned the injectors. My daughter still regularly gets high 40s in mpg with her lead foot. 9 times out of 10, the dealer's "fuel injection service" is just your wallet "getting serviced". Don't let them sell you something like that unless you are having a verifiable performance or mileage concern.

6. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Patrick and Joe are giving you great advise. If the 2.5 you are talking about is fuel trim, I would suggest you consider servicing your Prius elsewhere. Can you find out or specify what the 2.5 is referring to? I charge less than 1/5 of the price they told you to clean the throttle body. Add a bottle of Techron and you get the injectors cleaned too. I also recomend it be done every 60K miles as it is easier to keep parts clean then try to clean them when they are dirty enough to cause problems.

There is a process to remove, clean and re-install fuel injectors, but, I doubt they were going to do that.

[email protected] likes this.