1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to clear ALL phone book entries in voice control?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DirkusMaximus, Oct 9, 2020.

1. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, all. New Prius owner here. It’s an ‘11 with the “Base 2” trim level, so no touchscreen. It does have the Bluetooth and voice commands. (I’m having trouble there, but that’ll be a separate thread)

Aside from getting a buddy with access to a tech stream to nuke it from orbit or sitting in the car for an hour deleting each one individually, how can I completely clear out the voice command phone book? Is there a “hidden” voice command, or reset in the menu somewhere?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try SETUP --> System setup --> Initialize --> Phonebook

3. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Is that through the voice commands? I’ll give it a shot when I get a chance.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No it's through the menu using the TUNE button I believe but I think this one wipes it all out as opposed to deleting individual entries. My Gen 3 had navigation so I can't actually try it out myself.

I assume you want to delete your phonebook from the car, right?

5. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, the guy I bought “Ruby” from had quite a few stored numbers. I just want to clear the phone book stored in the car and start from zero.

There’s no menu option for this in the small display in the dash, nor in the radio “tune” button options that I can see. I think you might be thinking of a different trim level. I’ve attached a pic of Ruby’s panel for reference.

Attached Files:

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got it from the 2010 manual which is the same for 2011.

what happens when you push the TUNE-FILE knob?

Also, it’s odd the previous owner’s numbers are there. It should be tied to the phone only.

7. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get Bass, Mid, Treb, ASL, Fade, and Bal. No phone options at all in there.

On this one, and on my kids two Priuses from 2009 and 2010 the car actually saves its own phone book internally. The only interface I can find for the phone book is through the voice command menus at the moment.

I’ve got a diagnostic computer I’ll try hooking up to it. It can do most of the stuff a real Toyota Techstream can do. I’ll see if I can just do it from there.

8. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Zurich diagnostic computer shows no options for nuking the phone book. Guess I’ll be sitting in my car for a bit saying “DELETE ENTRY” and “CONFIRM” over and over. :-/

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What about pressing the "off hook" button on the steering wheel? In the nav version, that's an alternative way to get to the phonebook.

I'm still trying to think how to get to the settings menu...

10. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that gets you to the phone book, but there’s still no initialize or “delete all” option. You think they’d put that in the security menu in the voice command menu, but nope.

I just ended up sitting in my car for half an hour pressing the voice command button and repeatedly saying LIST NAMES, DELETE ENTRY and CONFIRM over and over. Resolved now for me, but if anyone else runs into this I guess there’s no easy way out. It’s like Toyota either never expected anyone to actually use the system, or never expected anyone to trade in or sell their car. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well that's just frustrating.

Sorry you had to go through all that.

Again, it's weird. I thought the phonebook should stay with the phone rather than the car. Ahh well.

12. DirkusMaximus

DirkusMaximus New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I knew what I was getting into with it. The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he warned me that the voice control stuff was pretty terrible. I also kinda knew that before going into this, as my son and one of my daughters also have Prii, and I’ve had to dig into them before. I was just hoping that there was some secret cheat code to clear them that someone in this forum would know.

No, this is definitely stored in the car. Either that, or it has some AMAZING Bluetooth range, more than 60 miles!

Tideland Prius likes this.