1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to connect to positive battery post

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by d.joulez, Sep 6, 2023.

1. d.joulez

d.joulez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi -

installing a new powered sub into my 2014 prius plug in.

i noticed there were two spots to connect my power wire and I chose the one closer to the front of the car. Anyone know the difference between A and B?

And if using A is safe?
    Thx!
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 6.21.54 PM.png

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They’re “bedfellows”. I’d go with “A”, it’s less likely to get crusty, and the connection would be undisturbed if you were swapping to a new battery. It looks to be purpose-built for connecting accessories like yours.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "B" holds the clamp to the post. "A" is for Main power and accessories....

Grit likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    B will set off tiny sparks as you loosen and tighten it. Been there done that, both A and B on mine are used for other connections.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Neither one is ideal. If you loosen that clamp and lift it off the battery post, you will notice it drapes down over the side of the battery and contains a 140 amp fuse, and there is another place you can connect—let's call it C—at the bottom end of that fuse.

C, for the win, for two reasons. First, your added wiring is now protected from the battery by the 140 amp fuse. You still need your own fuse sized appropriately for your sub and your added wiring, but the 140 amp 'feeder' fuse helps limit what your added fuse and wiring can be exposed to.

Second, most of the time, as you listen to music with your car in READY, the power isn't coming from the battery, it's coming from the inverter in the front of the car, and connecting at C, you have shortened that path by not having the 140 amp battery fuse in it. (There is still a 125 amp fuse at the front of that cable, protecting the inverter output, so by connecting at C, you have a tap point that is protected that way from both ends.)

It's a little tough to see in this pic because of so much other stuff around, but you can see the solar charger kind of velcro'd on where that fuse hangs down over the side of the battery, and the cable tapping off to the added fuse box is attached at the bottom end there.

[​IMG]

Point A is purpose-built to give you a way to change the 140 amp fuse if you have to.

#5 ChapmanF, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Mendel Leisk and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We can create an option and not use the given?

Id go with D, buy a battery clamp that has multiple bolts to provide better and safer connections.

D takes the cake and champagne bottle.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    D is exactly as bad as A and B, for the same reasons.