1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to convert cassette tapes to CD

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jkash, Nov 27, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

We have a lot of audio cassette tapes at home and I would like to convert them to CD's so my wife can play them in her car. I'm sure there is someone in PriusChat land that knows how to do that. I have a Mac running OS 10.4.3 Tiger.

Thanks in advance.

2. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

edit ... NM just saw you were using Mac.

Thanks,

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the tough part is getting an adapter from your tape player to the line in on your Mac. after that, Audacity is easy to use and free.

4. joelparks

joelparks New Member

Why did you edit that? Did you post instructions for idiots like me using Windows XP? I've got the same question but no Mac

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ummm... Audacity works for either platform...

6. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I too have many old cassetts but will never transfer them to anything because of the quality. Tape is bad. You may not care about the quality. If I were to convert mine to CD I would hook up an old tape player's RCA outs to-headphone mini jack adapter and plug in to your sound card's line in. Then comes the not-so-fun part. Using any recording software, start the recorder and then the player. Of course make sure you clean the heads on your tape deck first. When you are done with both sides of the cassette then use a wave editor to cut each track and save them as the highest quality your OS supports (WAV or AIF for PC and I think AIF for Mac). You may want to use a filter called Normalize before saving in order to keep a more consistant volume level. Look at the files of a pre recorded CD to see how they name the tracks (01_track name). Then, the most important step is to burn them to CD with Toast or iTunes for the Mac. Make sure in your burner software that you set burning to an audio CD in the preferences so the program can convert your files to the correct format to play in a CD player.

Now, repeat that for each tape. :eek:

7. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

Yes it was a tape drive for XP, here it is but the other option would probably be better since you wouldnt have to buy or install components.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/7a8d/

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Piece of cake. I transferred all my reel to reel tapes and vinal to CD on a Mac. Get Roxio Toast. It has a converter from analog to digital. Griffin has an input device that does mini plug to USB if you need it. My old Mac that I use for this has a audio input. If you want to do vinal you need a pre amp for your turntable. Mac's have always had the ability to do audio.

9. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

That's way too much money for the low quality of cassette tapes and then you are saving as MP3 but at what rate?

10. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's the software that will do what you want http://www.roxio.com/en/products/emc/index.jhtml

You can use the line input to your PC to capture the audio from the tape or LP

Beware of the label creator option though! If you wish to label your CD's for use in a slot load player (the kind in the Prius) DO NOT USE PAPER STICK ON LABELS they have a habit of comming loose with the temp variations and can jam (re: expensive) in your player. If you have a compatable printer, you can use ink jet printable CD blanks, otherwise use a Sharpie pen to label...

This one and others have the ability to clean up tape noise, record scratches, etc. not perfect but it does help...

11. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Just download all the good songs from LIMEWIRE...

:ph34r:

12. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    eh, I am old school. I have a SONY® CD burner, and a mixer, where I can mix tapes, 8-tracks, records, mini discs, dvd audio, cd audio...and a Light Scribe to burn the label on to the disc...

13. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Okay, this thing is just plain awesome. I wish I had known about it before I got rid of all my tapes.

Nate

14. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

15. HeuristicsInc

HeuristicsInc New Member

Actually, I read a review online somewhere that said that this thing isn't worth the cost. They recommended doing what somebody ... aka007ii said instead.
    -bill