1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to defeat panic button on smart key remote

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by tedjohnson, Feb 15, 2011.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Has anyone found a way to defeat the stupid panic button on the remote? In the past I have poured glue into them, Popped the red thing out, etc , but this is a lease and I might well turn it in in a few years and do not want to physically modify the smart key, but twice in the last week it has falsely triggered by getting pressed by the other keys on my keychain as I sat in the house. This must be a common problem, since I had to defeat the same button on 2 other cars I had. I am wondering if there is a software fix to have the receiver in the car ignore the panic mode. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tape something hard over the outside of the fob over the button? I don't feel like taking mine apart right now to see what type of button mechanism it has (eg a surface-mount type switch versus a membrane-type key where the button itself connects two traces on the PCB). If it's the membrane type with just copper (and no switch), you could also put some tape or something non-conductive over the copper traces on the inside to prevent the key from touching the PCB, thus completing the circuit.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The easiest way I found is to simply put the FOB in your pocket with the buttons facing your leg. It works well without any modifications.

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The panic button function can be disabled using TechStream. If you were local, I'd be happy to do it for you, it only takes a few minutes.

Maybe you can convince your dealer to do it for you. Next time you are in there for something else, they will probably do it if you ask nicely.

WE0H likes this.
  5. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my fob apart to replace the battery. (Remove the mechanical key, slip something into the slot and gently pry. Do it over a table so you don't lose any pieces. DAMHIKT)

There is a rubber membrane over the circuitboard that acts as a return spring for all 3 buttons. The actual switches are real surface-mount components with clicky things inside.

What that adds up to is that I just saved you the trouble of taking the fob apart just to find out that there's no easy way to do what you want. It's probably easier to get a different kind of key ring. Myself, I carry the fob separately with the other keys in a leather case. Having the fob separate makes it easy to grope in my pocket and find the unlock button by feel.

6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, carrying the fob separately is also a good idea. I don't normally drive, so I keep the fob separate from my keys. When I do carry it, I use the small change pocket on my jeans, rather than letting the fob mingle with other keys or such items. That pouch is usually perfectly-sized for the fob. Most of my shorts have cargo pockets, so the fob can live in those during the summer months. Other creative methods of attachment might be found too - for example, attach it to your shoelaces (after all, you don't need to touch the fob); hopefully the sensors both outside and inside the car can pick it up in that unusual location.

7. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I won't disable my fob's panic button. I use it especially in larger parking lots as the honking helps me remember where my car is parked. I read an article that suggested keeping the extra FOB by your bedside in case you hear unwelcome noises of someone breaking into the house; press the panic button to honk the horn in hopes of scaring someone away. Hey, old people get insecure. lol...

Here are some more panic button ideas from eHow: How to Keep Safe Using a Car Panic Alarm | eHow.com

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a useful feature! UK spec fob doesn't have it...

9. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My fob is separate from my keys. But not because of accidental pressings.

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean, I'm not the only person that accidently presses the panic button? :blush:

11. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Open the fob (it snaps apart to replace the battery) - you will see the spot where the 'Panic' hits the green circuit board. Place a small piece of tape on the green PCBA the size of the panic contact.. Pretty easy.

1 person likes this.
  12. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is the Gen III forum, but I wanted to remind those Gen II people (like me) that peruse all forums, that the Gen II fob does not snap apart (that I know of).

Don't want anyone to break their fob!

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Keyfob "Jacket" for my Non-Smart Key fob on my Honda Fit. I notice they offer them for Toyota Prius as well.

www.thejacketstore.com

I've only had mine a few months, but I really like it. Adds durability, some degree of weather protection, and most importantly the slight addition of the thickness of the jacket, recesses the buttons....makes it harder for accidental pressing.

I really hate to promote a product...and I don't know how it might work with a "Smart Key" fob....but they do offer them for The Prius...

I'd be curious if any Prius owners have one???

PS:
    Also I picked mine up at my dealership...so I can't really vouch for the company itself. I did not order mine direct...

14. priuschatter2

priuschatter2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Another low-tech solution: examine your key ring and see which key(s) is pressing the panic button. In my case, it was the bike lock key. It was possible to reposition that key (it has an off-center key ring hole) so that it couldn't depress the panic button. Also, I use a 1/2" ring, which limits the keys' ability to hit the button.