1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Disable Audio System Gray Out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mameyer, Sep 29, 2007.

1. mameyer

mameyer Junior Member

I've become enamored with the MP3-CD player in my 2007 Prius. The touch screen and the folder/track listings is such an efficient way to move through my library. That is, unless I am actually driving my Prius- then the folder list and file list is grayed out. Is there a way to fix this? (And I know what you are thinking, "Just get an Ipod already.") I've seen elsewhere that there is a way to disable the gray out on the Nav models- but I just have the standard radio- and that mod doesn't work on my radio. If anyone has access to some secret info, a series of magical touches and button pushes that will fix this ridiculous gray out, please post.

2. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mameyer @ Sep 29 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]519246[/snapback]</div>

and welcome to PriusChat!! :D

Actually, there are several MFD functions that are "greyed out" when the car is in motion (above 8 mph I think it is).... This is one of the Prius safety features. Your Prius thinks it will be too difficult for your to drive and concentrate on the road if you're punching buttons on your MFD. You telephone system will also be greyed out, all except the speed dial.

Now the fix. There is no way that I no of to "reprogram" you car. The fix many people have used here is to cut the speed wire in the dash that tells your MFD the car is moving. Its a bit more complecated than that, so PLEASE don't go out and start cutting wires!!

Actually Coastaltech sells a "speed wire fix" that will allow you to operate these functions while in motion. If you do a search for speed wire fix, or speed wire interrupt, you can probably find many, many threads on this topic. I havn't used this, because it doesn't bother me that much, and with my mp3 player now, I rarely use the CD player anymore.

anyway, maybe someone else will chime in soon and give you a link to their site, or some more input. Coastaltech actually has a pretty bad reputation for customer service and there have been many many grips about that as well.

Welcome again, and look around in the forums, lots of very good information in here. You can certainly learn a lot about you car here. :D :D

3. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There is a link somewhere that describes how to put in a switch that allows you tow briefly disconnect the speed wire when you want to operate the greyed out functions on the mfd. Otherwise you would need the Coastaltech solution.

4. partipilo

partipilo Weirdo

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Winston @ Oct 3 2007, 04:44 PM) [snapback]520815[/snapback]</div>
    Which coastaltech solution would be needed? The lockpick? I'm really hating the inability to use folder view :-( What a boneheaded decision on Toyota's behalf. At least it should be configurable by the user. Stupid stupid stupid.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Darell has some information on the speed wire cutting. It also frees up the phonebook and messages sent by FM stations.

6. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What's really stupid about it is, the 6 little rectangles that get grayed out on the FOLDER LIST, are just like the 6 little rectangles used when in FM, (I guess AM too). But on FM, they stay lit, and each has usually 2 lines, top Station Number, bottom Station Name or Current Song. Yet they gray out the entries in the box on FOLDER LIST when moving, even though they would have only 1 line of text. Think the designers who came up with that were smoking something.

7. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius