1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to disable Car Alarm on prius 2004

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by nahaku, May 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I want to completly disable Car alarm as it goes off without any reason, last year when it started I got new 12V battery and it still happening,
    I changed battery in the remote, I do not have panic button only lock and unlock,
    my key is several hundreds meters from car when it happens.
    nobody is arround my car.
    all doors are shut
    I do not keep anything in the glasses shelf
    Just disable it please? it is really annoying, is there some fuse what i can remove or cable to pull out?
    There is button under steering wheel but I do not think it is doing anything with it. Or maybe I must do something special to disable it with that button?
    I believe that car alarm was from factory, I do not think it is some aftermarket alarm.

colleague told me that on his honda car there was some extra battery on car alarm after he removed it it stoped going off without reason, is there something like that on 2nd gen prius?

Thank you for help

ydpplqbd likes this.
  2. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I just read that it might be aftermarket radio, I do not have aftermarket radio I just added that converter what alows me to use USB and Aux audio, But I am not sure if the alarm went of even before I installed that box.
    But still, I want completly off the alarm as it is usseles and annoying, if someone wants to steal the car they will steal it.

3. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a button below the steering wheel to the left of the SKS disable button (if your car is SKS) that will disable the interior sensor but that is likely of no help. It is so you can lock the car with your dog (for example) inside, and the dog's movement will not set off the alarm.

In regards to the USB/Aux audio accessory, stranger things have happened and that is a possibility. The fact you can't remember whether the alarm activated or not before installing that doesn't help.

You could always just lock the car with the physical key, that will not set the alarm. If you do opt for this, you could get a key cut on a standard Toyota blank so that you can have that on your keyring. Then you will not need to remove the little key from the fob all the time and it will be easier to lock/unlock having the more standard-sized head on the key. If you do do this, you will not be able to set the double-lock – but it sounds like security is not your top priority in all this.

That's all I got.

PS, by design, I don't think you can disable the factory alarm. You would need to look at doing something a bit more unorthodox more than likely if you want to pursue this avenue.

#3 dolj, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
    ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming you have a factory installed alarm, you should be able to disable it from within any version of techstream.

Not sure if an App like Carista could do such, but it may be possible.

dolj likes this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be interesting, I'm all ears.

6. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Today when I went from work I tried to use normal key to open car, and car alarm went off. I tried it several times, anytime I tried unlock car with key alarm went off. It did not went of when I locked car with normal key.
    Yea I read on internet that Toyota service can disable somehow car alarm.
    If anyone knows how to do it or if It can be done in non Toyota service would be great help.

7. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I have OBD bluetooth scanner from Ebay, cheap one, it can read real data but not Error Codes. I bought from Amazon cable to connect to the laptop, reviews looked promissing, I will try it, can someone give me a software to use, as I am not sure that it will be included.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. You have to turn the alarm off first by using the remote to unlock the car. Once the alarm is off, you can use the physical key to lock it and subsequently unlock it.
    Correct.

9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you need another bluetooth scanner be sure to review this webpage first : Hybrid battery diagnostic and repair tool for Toyota and Lexus

Was the purchased mini-vci cable listed as containing a CD, or a weblink to the above required application?

Which device and OS version were you looking to install techstream on?

10. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I bought now this cable
    ULTRAOBD2 Mini VCI Car OBD Diagnostic Scanner OBD2
    On the picture it has CD, but I am not sure, as i did not have laptop, I bought also some cheap dell laptop where should be Windows 7, but I would preffer to install Windows 10 there.

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. nahaku

nahaku Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    so I got that Cable, with Techstream 13, I disabled some sensors with it, lets see if the Alarm now will goes off.Also i got one extra key I got with car, it did not worked with it, when I try to pair it either with the manual method with opening and closing doors it does not work, when I tried to use the Techstream there was some Error with ECU unit, all it did was that I can use the key to open and close doors, but still cannot start the car with that key.
    Plus I do not know if it depends on version of Techstream software but I did not have there many options to change, in Windows settings it was empty, I kinda thought that I can set the car remote to open and close windows with double click...
    or set the Headlights to stay on and automatically turn off after same time, but those settings were empty.

SFO likes this.
  13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on which car you have.

Gen 2 never offered those features.

SFO likes this.
  14. garretbdriven

garretbdriven New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    I have a bandaid solution.

First I tried replacing the batteries in my fob, that wasn't the problem. then I tried locking the car with the physical key. that didn't disable the security. I finally got frustrated and called my local Toyota dealership. they were no help at all.

I finally had the idea to see if the horn had a single fuse. it did. look up the fuse for your horn and pull it out. The bad news: you won't have a horn. The good news: you won't have a horn.

SFO likes this.