1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to disable daytime running headlights?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim Caldwell, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I rack up about 6 hours of daytime commute driving each week, and 6 hrs of night-time driving each week, in my 2009 Prius. That's 12 hours a week the low beam lights are used. I can't consider anything but the Basic sylvania headlights, as they are only rated for around 350 hours (like 9003BP), aand the premium bulbs are rated for much less. Is there any way to disable this daytime running feature? On my Corolla it is possible to ground a wire going to the daytime running module...the wire that becomes grounded when the parking brake is engaged. But the way Prius is all computerized, there may not be any discrete daytime running module.
    I think this car has HID lights from the factory? These bulbs are great, and the life of them is about ten times longer....but my jaw dropped when I saw that just one sells for $175.00! Hard to afford even one, let alone a pair! So for now I am having to go with Sylvania basic bulbs that sell for about $11.00 ea. Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look for the 7.5A DRL fuse and pull it. Then see if the headlights work when the switch is turned on.

Is your car a Canadian market vehicle?

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your 'Location' does not give me a feeling of where on earth you are.

A US Gen 2 Prius has no DRLs from the factory. On my 2009,, you could just decide to never turn them off, and they will come on with the car and go off when you open the drivers door, but the switch on the stalk always over rode that. If you are in the US and cannot turn off you headlights, someone has modified your electrics.

Canada has DRLs, but the government requires them and you will be ticketed repeatedly if you disable them.

There may be some part of the world where Toyota installed DRLs where if is not illegal to disable them, but I am not aware of such a place.

Low trim levels of the Prius used used Halogen headlights where the higher trim levels used HID, (Toyota calls them Discharge) but they are not interchangeable. All the electrical is different. Looking online, Halogens are about $8 each, HIDs are about $45 each. Any given Prius can only use one or the other.

US and Canada Head light chapter of the owners manual http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47614U/pdf/sec_02-03.pdf

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, where in the world is "Mathis"? I'm guessing USA, but...

In Canada, the high beams, running at reduced brightness, are the "day time running lights". That is, lights that come on automatically, when headlights are switched off, with the intention to improve daytime visibility.

In your case it sounds like the low beams are always on, at regular brightness, day-or-night? I've got a sneaky hunch you're second owner, and someone modified the wiring??