1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to dismount the rear spoiler?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Eisbaer, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Eisbaer

Eisbaer German Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

recently I discovered some rusty water between the rear spoiler (right side) and the deck lid. Not much, but enough to take a closer look.
    Today I tried to dismount the spoiler but without success. Of course i removed the two screws (left and right) on the inside first and then pulled, pushed and rocked that damn thing.
    I hope the spoiler is not additionally glued to the lid!

All I know is that besides the two screws just two gaskets are used and two additional holes (for alignment purposes?) can be found in the lid. Any hints from your side on how to remove the spoiler?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany!

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The spoiler is an absolute bear to remove. In addition to the 2 screws, the gaskets are glued on w/ industrial strength adhesive. I tried to remove mine but gave up. If you really must remove it, I would try some adhesive remover and heat. Work slowly with plastic levers (no metal). Here's how I envision it.

1. Squirt adhesive remover (Goo B Gone or other equivalent product) in between spoiler and deck lid
    2. Use a stiff nylon bristle brush (similiar to a tooth brush) and work the product in as deep as you can
    3. Use a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive and continue to add more adhesive remover
    4. Use a plastic lever (similiar to a trim removal tool) to slowly pry up on the spoiler
    5. Keep doing this until it comes off

I'm not sure if this will work but, you can try it.

Gen1guy likes this.
  3. Eisbaer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn! Adhesive!
    But thanks for your hints.

Consequently I will try to find the spot where the rust comes from without removing the spoiler at the moment. Since the rusty water did not came back after removing it (even after some rain), I will keep an eye on this closely.

Bye, Eisbär

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You can check on page BO-102 in the manual (at least that's the page for my 2001 edition in English) or on techinfo.toyota.com.

After removing the bolts, it is a matter of warming the mounting area to 40-60 C with a heat lamp and working thin wire ("piano wire") back and forth between the spoiler and lid, after first putting tape down on the lid all around the spoiler mounts to avoid scratching.

Hope this helps,
    -Chap

5. Eisbaer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

just a short update - maybe interesting for other Classic Prius owners.
    I did not remove the spoiler assembly since this was not necessary. I just removed the screw on the right side and lifted the spoiler about 5 millimeters. And there it was, the rusty spot.

On the assembly line (11 years ago) the spoiler has been mounted too close to the deck lid (on the right side only). Vibrations - while driving and when closing the trunk, I suppose - caused the spoiler to tap the lacquering. At two spots the clear coat and paint were already gone and the white base paint was visible. These spots only required some touch up.

But on one spot also the base paint and zinc coating has vanished! I removed the rust and applied some rust converting epoxy agent. Later this week some paint and clear coat will be applied onto the dried out epoxy.
    To prevent further damage I will also insert some thin pads - I found some old heat transfer pads in my DIY box; these should withstand temperature cycles and moisture.

So, Classic folks -> better take a short look under your spoilers!

Bye, Eisbär

bwilson4web likes this.