1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to do the headlight flasher EV mod

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rerstad, Sep 28, 2004.

1. rerstad

rerstad New Member

I tried to do the headlight flasher EV mod, got it all done, but it doesn't seem to be working. (I think I had too large of a connector on the purple wire coming out of the flasher harness.) I'll fix that, but I see conflicting instructions about how to handle the purple wire from the connector. It seems that efusco says to pull the wire out and replace it with the mod wire, but CoastalDave says to tap the wire. Which should I do?

Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Either should work.

3. rerstad

rerstad New Member

Well, I finished the mod last night and it works just fine. I ended up pulling the pin with the purple wire from the flasher assembly and replacing it with the new wire rather than tapping into it. I figured I didn't need to be flashing the high-beams whenever I turned on the mod. (Plus I never flash the high-beams when the lights are off anyway.)

Mod works great--only plan to use it to impress people by being able to drive away in stealth mode.

Thanks to efusco's great instructions, it took less than an hour, even with having to take the steering column apart twice and waiting for the soldering iron to heat up twice. Total cost was less than $5. It was fun cruising around the block in stealth mode last night!

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    congrats on the EV mode! It is truly a cool feature. I've found that using it in certain specific instances, I can eek out a little better MPG. Plus the gadget-geek factor doesn't hurt either.
    My AM commute starts slow and mostly downhill, 'till a stopsign and faster speeds. Then in the work parking lot at the end of my 12 minute drive or so. And I always use it in parking lots of the grocery store, etc. with the radio off and watch people turn their heads to 'see' what they can't hear! Be careful (and patient) though, people won't hear ya come up from behind and may hang out in front of you.
    Drive fun, drive clean, drive Prius.