1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to drive if electronic key not working

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by CityDriver, Jan 5, 2024.

1. CityDriver

CityDriver New Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    We have a new 2024 Prius XLE. The manual says that if the car is parked near a TV tower, the electronic key won’t work. Question - I know I can unlock the door with the skeleton key, but will I be able to push the button and drive the car? I will have my iPhone with Toyota app in my purse - is that enough? I don’t want to pay extra for the digital key.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    the "electronic key" is several electronic keys in one physical package. Each of the subsystems use different sorts of radio technology for different functions.

The part that has the potential to be confused by broadcast stations is not the same part that allows the ignition unlock & start button to work.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    lol... No spare tire and no parking next to TV towers... What next? Car won't work near EVs?

4. Doug McC

Doug McC Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You may want to reread your manual: “won’t”, and “may not” convey two entirely different meanings. Additionally, the manual also gives simple, illustrated instructions for what to do if your “electronic” key doesn’t work.

5. JImwil

JImwil New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey there,

No worries about the TV tower proximity hiccup! Even if the electronic key acts up temporarily, you can still fire up your Prius XLE using the ignition button. And hey, while we're on the topic of savings, have you checked out the
    ture
    ? It's a nifty way to score some deals on automotive essentials. Happy driving!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base