1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to erase P0420

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius2006GuitarGuy, Oct 5, 2024 at 5:26 AM.

Tags:
  1. Prius2006GuitarGuy

Prius2006GuitarGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey!

I have a AP200 and got a P0420 code, I am going to try two tricks one after the other to try to fix it:

1 - clean the cat via "Liqui Moly Catalytic Converter Cleaner", even if it does not fix the problem the cat probably needs cleaning

2 - use a spacer

but how do I clear that p0420 code? I don't see that option in the AP200 but I know people clear these codes via some program...

Thanks!

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You want to use one of these stainless steel angle spacers that actually puts the O2 sensor parallel with the pipe not sticking out of the pipe sideways like it does now You don't want to use a spark plug fowl or adapter this thing you want to use is $18 has a piece of catalyst material in it and it swivels and locks at about any angle you want to set it in there You apply that to the bung or the hole that the O2 sensor screws in now and that's going to make your O2 sensor go from screwing into the side of the pipe to screwing in with the length of the pipe if you will then that space is you and changes the angle and slows down the response of the gas and material getting to the sensor to be scanned. Just look online eBay and everybody I have them in my drawer here sometimes they get used sometimes they don't and as far as clearing the codes with the AP200 you follow the procedure to clear the codes easily you just touch the code and then do a complete clear or whatever it's called and it'll clear all of those codes that it read a minute ago but you really want to check them first and do whatever it is you need to do before you wipe them out when the sunlight goes up I'll bring up my AP200 on the screen and tell you exactly what key presses to make to clear all the codes but it's right there in the instructions and it's on the screen it's kind of like every scanner you use almost as far as clearing the codes and then if you put the spacer in and you just drive the car two or three runs to the store and all if the PO420 is not detected again it I believe will clear the code by itself and it will become a stored code possibly so that if it does it again it can come back but it generally won't have the light on under this condition but getting the proper spacer is kind of key using a spark plug fowler like you see people doing they don't do very well they get red hot not made out of very good material etc could cause you more strife than not.