1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Find A Good Body Shop for Repainting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by nikkiusaf, May 23, 2004.

1. nikkiusaf

nikkiusaf New Member

Hello, I've been lurking on this board for a while and I think someone is going to be enough of a motorhead to help me.

I have had several opportunities to buy a used white Prius (TRAC cars or what, I don't know). The mileage on them has been respectable and they are even adjusting the price to reflect their used-ness, plus they have very basic packages, which is a plus for me. The only thing stopping me from buying one of these white Prius is their haggard color. I don't like white cars and I could never see myself "growing into" the color. In fact, I don't like any of the Prius color choices, interior or exterior, and I forced myself to like the Ivory/Brown interior that comes with the Seaside Pearl, the only color I sorta-like. But everybody in my 'hood HAS a Seaside Pearl Prius already!!!

So here is what I want to do. I have already researched your responses to repainting and I still think, if I have enough technical info by buying time, I will go and buy a used white Prius (w/ grey interior) and repaint it. I realize it will cost $3000 or so and lower the resale value, and this is OK with me. It is worth having the most unique car out there (I KNOW suburbia will be crawling with Prius once everyone gets theirs, just like the Accord and Camry, etc, and I don't want to ever walk up to someone else's car in the parking lot thinking it's mine).
    And after watching Pimp My Ride!... :oops: and other car-refurb shows, I KNOW a repaint job can be quality and beautiful. All I want is a different color (lavender, citrus green, candyapple red, etc.), nothing freaky.

How to find a body shop that can do really good work? Is it just like finding a good tattoo parlor (looking at their portfolios, word of mouth)?
    Thanks,
    NIKKI

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i think one thing that's a good indicator is a clean shop with a clean spray booth and all the latest equipment.

other than that, as you said, some references

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Firstly, stay away from the bargain shops. They rarely are bargains.

Most reputable body shops do a quality job of painting. Don't discount your dealer's body shop.

Ask for some references and contact the owners to see if they are satisfied with the work done.

Check their holding lot, some might already be completed. You can get a look at the quality of their job.

If possible, closely examine the paint. Scan down the sides at a low angle, can you see any ripples, orange peel effect, or other distractions? Have a soft cheesecloth with you. Lightly slide it over the painted surfaces, any drag or rough spots indicate a less than desirable job.

Is there any overspray left after the job is completed? If so, they're lazy.

Preparation, type of paint, number of coats, whether you a clear overcoat, and finally rubbing out the finished product all contribute to the cost and how good the job looks.

Good luck.

4. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

only problem with dealers around here is that they charge more...

5. paulisme

paulisme New Member

I'd call the dealer and ask who they recommend. Dealers have cars painted every day and should know the best shops in the area. My wife recently had to get her 2-week old Scion xA painted because of an idiot on a motorcycle who thought he could sqeeze between two parked cars while having a hedge trimmer strapped to the back of his bike (god, it still burns me up how stupid some people are). The dealer pointed us to a reputable dealer and they did a great job.