1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to find battery parasitic drain scapegoat?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by PriusII&C, Dec 27, 2023.

1. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From time to time the auxiliary battery in my 2012 Prius C is drained so much that it becomes hard to start the car. When this happens the voltage drops to about 10.5V. The battery is about 4 months old.

With all doors closed and lights off, the parasitic current jumps between 103 and 130 mA. This is measured with a multimeter connected in series between the battery negative post and the battery nevative connector. Not sure what the normal value is, but think it should be much lower, probably around 20 mA. My car doesn't have a SKS. The key needs to be inserted to drive the car.

There are two fuse boxes under the hood. To find the culprit, do I need to unplug every fuse and replace it with multimeter leads? Or is there some simple way to do it?

#1 PriusII&C, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that's the way

3. John in Vermont

John in Vermont Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just leave the multimeter connected to the battery and pull the fuses out one at a time, the draw shown on the multimeter will drop when you have pulled the fuse on the circuit that is drawing the excess current. That said, be aware that most modern cars will often have circuits that draw power for awhile, like ten to twenty minutes, after the key is turned off. If this is an intermittent problem it can be very hard to track down. Do a Google search for "parasitic draw on a 2012 Prius". With luck you might find that someone has already solved this problem.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any accessories that might be the culprit?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can use any goat; there's nothing special about finding it. The key is, you have to bring two goats, and cast lots. The one that wins (from a secular goat's perspective), you then lay both hands on, blame for the parasitic drain, and release into the wilderness.

#5 ChapmanF, Dec 27, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Doug McC likes this.
  6. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Maybe the battery isn’t charging fully? It’s also a small battery. 130 ma would take 4 days to draw 12.48 amp hours from the battery. If the amp hour rating is 50, the battery should be 75%. Maybe that’s my too simple understanding.
    You may want to think about what happens when you disconnect the battery then put your multimeter in the circuit. What about the computer has to be reset, even off? I don’t know all what happens.

#6 Mr.Vanvandenburg, Dec 29, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From Arts Garage in Berkeley, I found though a link on Earthling Automotive - Electric Car Repair in San Francisco site

Does your Prius need a jump start every time? Check these things.
    This link is discussing how to find a parasite draw in a Honda, should be good starting point for howto locate the draw in any car, I'd think, anyways.
    Honda battery draining overnight? Here's how to solve the mystery!

#7 vvillovv, Dec 29, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    John in Vermont likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There is also the evaporative emissions test, which runs several hours after shutdown. The car would be expected to draw a few hundred mA for a few seconds, maybe a minute before returning to background drain level.

Sometimes you can hear the pump and valves ticking a bit when that happens.

John in Vermont likes this.