1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get bolts tightened correctly without a torque wrench

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 14, 2023.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've looked around the internet for a comparison chart that compares torque angle to torque wrench value settings for tightening fasteners.

Currently, I've examined only M6x1.0 and M6x1.25 fasteners, While I've found that I've been tightening the M6 fasteners correctly, I have evidently always overtightened the M8 ones.

I used a torque wrench on a nut clamped into my bench vise to torque each fastener to the recommended tightness using a torque angle wrench to measure the degree or radian movement.

To achieve the recommended torque of 80-90 inch pounds, the wrench needs to be turned 80 degrees.

For the M8 bolt, to my amazement, 18 ft. lbs. needs only a 30 degrees turn, before the wrench clicks.

All these years, I've been over tightening 8mm bolts, although I usually do no more than a 45 degrees turn.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's completely dependent on the type of joint, metals being joined, length of shank and thread engagement, number and types of washers and gaskets, lubricants on the threads, and on and on.

Engineers will sometimes specify a torque, sometimes an angle, sometimes a torque followed by an angle. What they specify is what they mean.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i just replaced the blades on my riding mower. while it called for a torque value, i gave it the feel test