1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get out grease...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jillgt02, Jun 28, 2006.

1. jillgt02

jillgt02 New Member

Got my Silver Pine Mica #3 last Friday and got a screw in the tire today, thanks to the construction they've been doing in my parking garage for the last 4 months. I took the car to Sears to get a patch (the only place open when we discovered the screw). They patched it, but in the process left a grease spot on my middle arm rest and on the driver door arm rest.

I'll complain by phone tomorrow, but does anyone have any suggestions for how to get it out? The fabric, especially on the arm rest, looks fairly delicate and I don't want to make it pill up by using the wrong stuff to try to clean it.

Thanks!

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there aren't many common household chemicals that'll take that stuff out. DH uses non-chlorinated brake cleaner, sprays it on a rag, and wipes it out. no evidence left behind (he fooled me anyway and i'm a real compulsive clean person.)

freakin' sears auto center... :rolleyes:

3. fgray30

fgray30 New Member

JillGT02:

You're right, that fabric does look pretty delicate. I am no expert, so the only advice I could give is to give $10 to a professional house/office/carpet cleaner on what would work best. I'm sure they deal with this kind of stuff all the time.

4. furkidsnprius

furkidsnprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JillGT02 @ Jun 28 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]278321[/snapback]</div>
    The best suggestion I have is baby powder, or any body talc powder. You first put lots on, press it in, put more on if it is all absorbed. Wait for 15 long minutes (longer if you can stand to wait longer) while the powder absorbs the grease. Vacuum the powder up, repeat putting powder on and waiting. Vacuum up again. By now the area should not feel greasy, if it does you didn't use enough powder. Wash with mild detergent and use a clean dry towel to blot up the moisture and left over powder. This works well on all surfaces and even on pets. The powder absorbs the grease, once all the grease is absorbed by the powder you simply remove the powder. Corn starch will also work in place of the powder but isn't as fast in my opinion.

5. BobZ

BobZ New Member

Jill I prepare new cars for delivery and what I want you to do is go find a product called AFTA this is what we use if we have that happen on a new car.

http://www.jensco.com/thekitchendrawer/cle...emover4000.html ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JillGT02 @ Jun 28 2006, 08:21 PM) [snapback]278321[/snapback]</div>

6. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not too sure how well these ArmorAll Cleaning Wipes work on just plain grease, but I smudged up the cover of my cloth-covered center console after mucking about with my tire pressures--and I am fairly certain there had to be some element of oily crap involved. I wiped 'em down almost immediately and had no remaining marks. Probably/possibly won't work with out and out grease, but definitely worth keeping close at hand for quick cleans.

7. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  8. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My mother raves about her quik n brite from the infomercial. Test anything you're going to use in a spot where you won't see it first in case it pulls color out.

And boo to Sears Auto. I took my '96 Camry there in '02 to replace what we believed to be the factory battery so it wouldn't die sitting in the Cage during a Blacksburg winter. They found what was "wrong" that caused my battery to "die" and told me I needed a new alternator or that I would not make it the 30 miles home. Funny...did anyone notice me saying there was a problem with the battery other than age? We told them we'd risk it and to put the car back together. When I sold the car in March this year I was still running the same alternator...and I've never been back to a Sears Auto.

9. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

Sears will buy you a new, factory armrest assembly; purchased and installed by your Authorized Toyota Dealer, OR you will sue them and the grease monkey that performed the work on your car, for all the costs involved in the replacement as well as court costs. You WILL win. document, keep your bill etc and be firm but cool. ...80% chance the the Service/Automotive mgr. will take care of it before it gets that bad, but if not, if what you say happened really did occur, you will prevail.

10. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here are manufacturer instructions:

http://alcantara.com/

Click on "Americas" then "English" then "Maintenance" then "Stain Removal"

11. jillgt02

jillgt02 New Member

Just in case anyone was wondering, I got the Armorall wipes yesterday and they took the spots right out. You can't tell there was ever a grease stain there! So thanks for your replies and help..me and my car thank you!

12. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jun 29 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]278615[/snapback]</div>
    I would not try WD40 on a cloth surface. It will leave an oil stain. After all, it's oil!

13. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jun 29 2006, 03:14 AM) [snapback]278481[/snapback]</div>
    I can't guarantee this will work, but since candle wax is also a hydrocarbon, you might try the scheme for removing candlewax. Take a couple of sheets of paper toweling and press it to the stain. Run an iron over the paper toweling. after about 30 seconds, take a look at the piece in contact with the stain. I should have started to absorb the oil. keep repeating the process, changing to clean sheets often (to prevent spreading the stain). When you can't remove any more, get some AFTA, which I think is Perc. a dry cleaning fluid and remove the last traces. Spraying on carpet cleaner and vacuuming it off repeatedly might also work.

If all else fails go after Sears. They will reimburse you if you are very firm and polite.

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JillGT02 @ Jul 2 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]280173[/snapback]</div>
    I am SO glad to hear these really work for more stuff than I thought they might. I have this thing about buying stuff that looks nifty, but then doesn't work entirely as it seems it is supposed to. As I said, it worked for a nasty thing in my car, but nothing as bad as future ones are likely to be. I LOVE it when stuff really works.

The other suggestions are great, too...but I gotta admit, I really prefer EASY, and the ArmorAll wipes are certainly that.

But WD40 on FABRIC??? :blink: