1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get rid of new car smell?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pearlgreen, Jul 31, 2006.

1. pearlgreen

pearlgreen New Member

My new Prius is fun, but I can't stand the strong new car odor. Do any of you have advice on how I can speed up the process of getting rid of this smell? It give me a headache.

thanks

2. fatale

fatale New Member

Buy a dog. :)

3. theorist

theorist Member

Keep the climate control set to pull in fresh air with the fan. Enjoy the season and drive with windows open.

Add perfume or your choice of scents. For the strongest or fastest effect, apply it to the interior air filter.

Leave some smelly food in it. The effect increases with time and temperature.

Load your dirty laundry into the hatch.

Leave the windows open and hope a cat uses it as a litter box.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The others want to mask the smell. Try this: Go to the Home Improvement Superstore and get a Honeywell activated charcoal "pre-filter" for their indoor air filters. Take out your cabin air filter (look in the manual, it's behind the glove box) and cut a square of the carbon filter to match the size of your cabin filter. Put it on top and slide it all back in. The new-car smell (plasticizers and formaldehyde) will get absorbed. Don't be afraid to change the carbon filter. A well spent $10.

1 person likes this.
  5. tideland_raj

tideland_raj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pearlgreen @ Jul 31 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]295505[/snapback]</div>
    :blink:
    You want to *get rid* of that wonderful smell?
    /snark.

Ok, yeah so did we... and it is nice and full of VOC's, so your headache is probably not psychosomatic.

After purchasing our 2k6 in January, I put up with the smell for 3 months of infrequent driving (I travel a lot, so not home as often these days), then my wife just started cracking the windows (to avoid the greenhouse effect that turns the car into an oven during hot days)... the smell started rapidly disappearing after that. I just make sure to leave the windows cracked open during the night.

6. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 1 2006, 01:19 AM) [snapback]295561[/snapback]</div>
    Would this work better than simply setting the climate control to blow fresh air instead of recirculated air? Would the outside air contain more of the new car smell than the carbon filtered recirculated air?

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theorist @ Jul 31 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]295578[/snapback]</div>
    Around here, that fresh outside air contains the smell of the Ford F150 and the bus. Choose your poison. Stick your nose in a lemon. Ah, Lemony Fresh!

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Just start eating wendy's chili, anything from taco bell, and when possible, large amounts of broccoli in a sitting. Loads of fresh fruit for breakfast can also help.

:D

Pretty soon, no more 'new car smell'

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 1 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]295561[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that will work great.

Photos of how to access the filter are here.

10. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Like bill m and raj explained, the smell is off-gassing voc's from the pvc and other carcinogenic stuff that goes into every new mass-production car built. Some Japanese auto co's are working on the problem, as explained in the article below. (Unfortunately, the American auto industry isn't even acknowledging the issue.) I've worked with a few materials development co's that are prototyping natural materials that eventually will replace a lot of the insulation and other toxic stuff in car interiors.

The best thing to do is air out your car each time you use it. Immediately open all the windows and drive with them open at least until you clear the accumulated fumes. It will take six months or more for the apparent odor to dissipate, but the materials will continue to off-gas for years. Don't know where you in live in NY, but if you can leave your windows cracked, the fumes won't accumulate as much. That should help reduce your headaches.

Check the air setting on your Prius too. It often defaults to "recirculate", and you want to change it to keep fresh air coming into the car.

Link to original article here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOKYO (Sept. 26) - Anyone who's pulled away from the dealer's lot in a shiny, new sedan knows the seductive scent of fresh plastic, paint and upholstery that evokes a rush of pride and consumer satisfaction.

But that unmistakable new-car smell may soon be heading the way of the rumble seat: Recent research linking it to a toxic cocktail of harmful chemicals is spurring efforts by Japanese automakers to tone down the fumes.

Japanese manufacturers, including Toyota Motor Corp, have become the first to set an industrywide goal of reducing cabin concentrations to within government guidelines. The push could spur similar action by U.S. and European rivals, making interior air quality an emerging auto safety issue.

"The industry in Japan as a whole has recognized the need for this and is coordinating efforts," Toyota spokesman Paul Nolasco said. "Cutting down on the things that lead to these smells is only something that can be better for you."

The new-car smell emanates largely from chemicals known as volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, that leach from glues, paints, vinyls and plastics in the passenger compartment. The fumes can trigger headaches, sore throats, nausea and drowsiness. Prolonged exposure to some of the chemicals can lead to cancer, though there's no evidence linking that to concentrations in cars.

Critics liken the problem to so-called sick-building syndrome, which traces some illnesses to similar agents seeping from the walls, carpets and fixtures of new buildings.

Just sitting in a new car can subject riders to toxic emissions several times the limits deemed safe for homes or offices by some health authorities, though the problem tends to dissipate after about six months, according to a 2001 study by Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization.

Just sitting in a new car can subject riders to toxic emissions several times the limits deemed safe for homes or offices by some health authorities.

"We find new car interiors have much higher VOC levels than any building we've researched," research leader Steve Brown said. "Ultimately, what we need are cars with interior materials that produce lower emissions."

Japanese automakers are now trying to do just that.

Earlier this year, they agreed to cut cabin levels of 13 of the compounds, including possible cancer-causing agents styrene and formaldehyde, by 2007 to match Japanese Health Ministry guidelines for air quality in homes.

The Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association initiated the drive after tests found some models made by three of the nation's top carmakers failed to meet government recommendations.

The industry group refused to identify which companies or models were evaluated.

Automakers worldwide have been trying to reduce volatile organic compounds for years. But the Japanese effort marks the first time the industry has adopted government guidelines, JAMA's Tatsuya Ota said.

Most of Japan's top five makers - Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi and Mazda - are already rolling out cars in compliance and touting the lower volatile organic compound levels as a key selling point, a move that is likely to catch on globally.

"There is good potential for the Japanese to take the lead in this field," said Koji Endo, an auto analyst with Credit Suisse First Boston in Tokyo. "People are starting to feel that VOCs are an issue, and the new efforts are one advantage that they (Japanese manufacturers) can claim."

Brown says he does not know of any government with volatile organic compound guidelines for car interiors, but says matching building levels is a good start. Japan's recommendations were adopted in 2002 to combat sick-building syndrome.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency sets no guidelines for volatile organic compounds in non-industrial settings, though formaldehyde is regulated as a carcinogen by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The Washington-based Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents nine carmakers including General Motors Corp, Ford Motor Co. and DaimlerChrysler AG, says it does not follow the issue of volatile organic compounds. DaimlerChrysler said it has no initiatives on the volatile organic compound-induced new-car fumes.

Toyota, Japan's largest automaker, currently has six models on the road that meet the new standards, while Nissan has four. Honda's new Civic, unveiled this month, is that company's first, while Mitsubishi will begin its lineup with the "i" next year.

All say they are on track to have all new models pass muster from 2007.

While some customers complain about the new-car smell, others cherish it enough to have spawned a cottage industry in aerosol "new-car sprays" to keep their rides smelling fresh from the factory.

"Some people are annoyed by the smell and some people love it," Honda spokesman Takayuki Fuji said. "This is not just for Honda users, but for all users."

KCobby likes this.
  11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only in America....Do you know how many people in the world would give anything to experience the "new car" smell just once. Get over it.

12. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Place your youngest child in the middle of the rear seat when she's not feeling well. Start driving and wait for her to begin projectile vomiting. Feed her spaghetti beforehand, for easy visual confirmation that she actually did "project" into the front seat region of the interior. Between the digestive byproducts, and the efforts you will expend to remove them, there will be no new car smell left at all. Don't ask me how I know this . . . trust me. :blink:

13. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Aug 1 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]295623[/snapback]</div>
    Damn you got here before me

14. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]295827[/snapback]</div>
    Right on... enjoy it while it lasts!

15. jw_teacher

jw_teacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, there is a justifiable reason for not wanting the new car smell. According to research the smell inside the car contains toxins that scientists suggest could cause cancer!

Do yourself a favor and get rid of it as soon as possible. When I first bought my car, I had the windows open everyday and got rid of the smell in two weeks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 02:34 PM) [snapback]295827[/snapback]</div>

1 person likes this.
  16. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Aug 1 2006, 12:34 PM) [snapback]295827[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, we've got the highest cancer rate of any industrialized nation in the world. That will get us over it for good. :blink:

1 person likes this.
  17. sunny

sunny New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pearlgreen @ Jul 31 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]295505[/snapback]</div>

Ignore those silly people who dismiss the problem by essentially telling you to fart in your car or think it smells like new leather. The problem is real, but it DOES go away. Keep your windows cracked or open as much as you can. I had the same problem (guess we're more sensitive), but it's totally gone now. And enjoy your car! :D

1 person likes this.
  18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Exactly.

Another suggestion is what they do with new buildings, bring up the temperature as high as it will go, and flush with lots of air.

19. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the new car smell cancer issue is more a problem for people who constantly handle new cars, like dealership personnel and factory workers, not the occasional new car owner.

btw, to effectively mask the smell, get a dozen Maryland blue crabs (steamed with Old Bay) and just put them in the cargo area for a few weeks. This works better when it is hot out. Alternatively, you could dry-shave a live skunk's nice person in the back seat. (Why yes, I am a genius! Thanks for noticing.)

:madgrin:

20. FrogmanDave

FrogmanDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chuck a smoke bomb in the rear window, then roll the window up :eek: