1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to get rid of the smell?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by highroller, Jul 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I spent days doing research on web and this forum, try spraying lysol into vent from both outside and inside with air full blast. I bought those foam cleaner and inject the foam cleaning solution under the car through the drain tube. It still smell. Cabin filter was replaced recently .

It seems that it smells only when i turn on fan without ac, both outside and circulation.

How do i get rid of the smell? I run out of ideas.

#1 highroller, Jul 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. SamanthaC0716

SamanthaC0716 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I always use A/C... From my understanding, it “conditions” the air. I don’t believe that moisture and pollutants get removed without the A/C engaged.

Are you having the funky odors when you use the A/C? Have you changed your cabin filter?

iPhone ?

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well if you're in a humid place, you're car has had 5 years to become a mold motel. My guess is that it is throughout the ventilation system and a pain to get rid of. In this case, it would be beneficial to have a longer post about what you're actually talking about. Is it a mold smell from the vents only when the fan is blowing? Or do the carpets themselves smell like cat/dog/whatever? Are you driving through central Delhi and expecting a Tesla-like bioweapon defense mode filter on the car so you only smell rainbows and unicorns?

4. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You’ve checked the in cabin air filter for dead rodents.

5. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    The smell happens only if the fan is on and ac is off. The car itself doesn't smell .

6. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Cabin filter was recently replaced.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is "the smell" like mold? Like dead rodents? Like urine? Like flowers?

Need details...

8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    By you or a tech, have you looked at it and the general area?

9. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    By me. Yes, nothing wrong with the area where the filter locates.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealers have a special system which can detoxify the entire vent system. then, in the future, always shut your a/c off a mile from your destination and turn the fan up a few notches, to prevent it happening again.

11. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One of the most expensive repairs is taking apart the dash to get in their to clean. You're talking thousands of dollars in labor alone if you don't DIY.

What you're smelling is the condensation from the AC dripping off the cooling grill when it's gone from freezing and condensing moisture to cooling off and dripping that moisture... There's a drainage tube for that, so you want to make sure its not clogged. After a long session using your AC there should be a tiny puddle of water under the car after cooling system warms up...

I've always wondered why people on PriusChat are bothered by such a subtle mildew smell, that quickly goes away... But toxic poisonous smells like lysol and "air fresheners" don't bother them, but I freak out when I smell that.

If all else fails you could stock up on cabin air filters and use all natural essential oil... Just a few drops will work wonders, but will shorten the lifespan of the filter.

12. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    If it's related to ac, why does the smell happens only when fan on ac off?

Drain tube is not clogged. I injected whole can of foam cleaner through drain tube, so it proved it's not clogged.

Now, i turn off ac and run fan last mile, but i guess it's too late because it's still smell.

Now i pretty much throw the kitchen sink to the problem and see which one sticks.

bisco likes this.
  13. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It the same thing as defrosting a freezer... When a freezer is full of ice from it's own A/C compressor running for a long time you unplug it and all that nasty built up frozen ice turns into moldy-nasty smelling water.

If you're able to get foam cleaner into the drain tube via the reservoir and are certain it's been cleaned out, the moldy smell is coming directly from the cooling grill / heat exchange / radiator like device that the air blows over to make the air cold. Learn more about replacing it here: Toyota Prius AC Evaporator Replacement Cost Estimate

14. zen_

zen_ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I always try to remember to turn the AC off 2-3 minutes from home, and to turn the fan up with outside air (re-circulation off) so the whole system has time to dry out before parking the car. I also periodically spray Lysol into the outside intake vents with the AC on, then off, then again with time to dry.

Mechanics do have a more advanced cleaning system they can use to try to get mold off the evaporator core and ducts if the problem is beyond DIY solutions. If it's really bad, then yeah, it can can cost a fortune to have the whole dash torn apart to gain physical access to to the evap core and ducts for more thorough cleaning or replacement. That's why it is worth the effort to not let it get bad. I use to drive my C commercially (me in the car 25-30 hours / week) using the AC a lot, and many passengers would comment that it still smelled new.

PriusCamper likes this.
  15. bobzchemist

bobzchemist Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Smells generally get stronger when things are warm, and get less intense when things are cold. The AC evaporator coils aren't smelling much when they're cold and the AC is on, but when you turn off the AC, the core warms up and the fan blows the more intense smell into the cabin. Since there's no smell without the fan, that's a good indication that the smell is only on the evaporator, and isn't in the ductwork (much).

If you can get a better cleaning from a mechanic, that might be your best bet. Otherwise, you might try getting 3 or 4 big cans of anti-bacterial Lysol spray, removing the wipers and cowl (remembering to clean the intake vents as you do this), then taking the cabin filter out. Next, turn on the AC full blast, open all the doors and hatch, and spray the Lysol continuously into the cabin air intake vents from the engine compartment for 5 or 10 minutes. This should (hopefully) coat the evaporator and ducts with enough Lysol that you'll kill all of the smelly contamination.

After you've finished spraying, leave the doors open and the fan going to dry everything off and get the Lysol smell out of the car for about 20 minutes. While you've got everything open, it would be a good idea to install mesh on the air intake vents to keep animals out. Close everything back up, replace the cabin filter, and you should have a less smelly AC system.

16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP hasn't identified just what "foam cleaner" through the drain tube was tried already. The official cleaning setup from Toyota is a two-part deal where the first part is an up-the-drain-tube foam, so if that's the kit that was tried already, there's probably not much further to go on that front.

If it was some other foam cleaner tried already, and not the Toyota kit, my next try would be the Toyota kit.

[​IMG]

If that doesn't do it ...

hmm ...

I have been very impressed with the effectiveness of chlorine dioxide. No, not as a health supplement fad, yuck, count me out. But for what it's intended for, demildewing and deodorizing things, it can amaze you. More details about it are in this post.

If it were me battling the problem, I might take out the glove box and hang a ClO₂ generator packet from some wire or string near the recirculate inlet of the HVAC, set the mode on recirculate and the fan on a moderate setting, seal up the car, and go spend the next 12 or 18 hours somewhere else. (Obviously, running the fan that long would require either leaving the car in READY, and not in an enclosed space, or hooking a stout 12 volt charger to the battery to hold up its charge while the fan is on.)

I would be disinclined to stick the ClO₂ generator packet right in the HVAC unit, because I'd wonder if at too high a concentration it might embrittle the plastic or something. But just hanging somewhere within 20 cm or so of the recirc inlet, and not right near any plastic, wiring, or upholstery, and letting the fan draw the gas in, is probably fine.

After some number of hours, just come back, open and air out the car, throw the packet away, and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. ClO₂ is a qualitatively different stuff than familiar 'chlorine'; it won't leave the car smelling like a swimming pool. It can bleach colors of things if you get the packet too close to them for too long.

Might be a lot less sloppy and messy than shooting pounds of liquid Lysol® in there.

-Chap