1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Get the Most from Your Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Sean05Opt6, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Sean05Opt6

Sean05Opt6 New Member

This just in from Toyota's Moving Forward newsletter:
    http://www.toyota.com/movingforward/2005/n...html?url=Button

"Techniques of a mileage champion
    Some Prius owners keep pushing the hybrid mileage envelope to the max. Five of these "hypermileage" enthusiasts recently teamed up and set a record of nearly 110 mpg in a marathon economy run."

http://www.toyota.com/hybridsynergyview/20...l/marathon.html

Thanks again Dan Kroushl, Dave Bassage, Wayne Gerdes, Rick Reece and Bob Barlow!

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Saw that. Nice press, but I thought there was a MTV or such coverage? What ever happened to that? I would love to see some video coverage. That was a great weekend following the updates on PriusChat. Inspired me to new levels of high millage driving.

3. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

110 mpg..... what'd they do, coast it down a mountain ?? :p

Whilst that is interesting to read about, Im far more interested in real-world figures and tips :)

4. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

as i recall, they found a most excellent route, and were able to pulse and glide around the circuit over and over again. it's worth mentioning that their driving habits were unusual enough to warrant a cop pulling one of them over to make sure everything was ok.

i imagine their methods are exactly what you'll find in the real world tips and tricks here

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Yes, their techniques are what many of us try to apply every day. Most are doable, but the route is critical. Your regular routes may not allow optimizing everything.

Also most do not mod the car with ultra tire pressures or 20 W engine oil. So for us the 110 is not possible.

When I drive for economy in good weather I try for something like 75, but even that is hard due to traffic etc here. In a rural area I expect it would be easy! But you won't get super mpg driving over 50 mph! So I usually settle for less and am happy whenever I get over 55 mpg.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually this is old news. the group that did this announced their plans here before they did it. quite a large writeup on it before and after the fact.

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    An oldie but a goodie and it does show what can be done. These four did this with out aids like CAN View and with music on! I am getting better but without the ScanGage I need the stereo off so I can hear as well as feel the car, but it is getting better and my driving technique is getting better. The story gives us something to go for. I just wish everyone would get off the road so I can practice, Prius drivers excluded.