1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to ground a connection ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by mwhaley99, Jul 29, 2006.

1. mwhaley99

mwhaley99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have ordered an avelectronics av interface unit to use with an iLink-L2 iPod system.

Their is a federal/state requirement that video should not be viewable when the car is in motion in the front of a vehicle.

The unit comes with a cable to connect to the ground on the handbrake system of the car, which therefore means that the unit will only show the throughput of whatever is connected on the mfd whilst parked.

I want to be able to override this and was told that I would need to ground the cable to a switch, which I could toggle on/off so I can view the iLink or other sources connected to it on my mfd.

How can I accomplish this ?

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Whaley @ Jul 29 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]294396[/snapback]</div>
    You need a switch with 3 pins in it. The center pin would go to the AV unit (you would cut the wire going to the handbrake and the this is the side going into the av unit), one outer pin would go to ground, and the other outer pin would connect to the other side of that ground cable you cut that is going to the Handbrake.

Just be 100% sure that that wire is actually needs ground to function.

3. mwhaley99

mwhaley99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The manufacturer told me on the phone that their is one cable for the handbrake (ground) and one for on/off (interrupt the map display and replace it with the video from the unit).

He said I would have to put a switch on the on/off cable to be able to toggle between map and the external source and I have to ground the ground cable to either the handbrake ground or any ground (piece of metail, unpainted). Also their is a power cable connection to connect.

I also ordered a licence plate camera which needs grounding/power and a connection to the reverse cable.

I think I will call my local audio dealer who installed my subwoofer and see if they will install it all for me.