1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to hide a power cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PixelRogue, Apr 29, 2013.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

Have a 2010 Prius V, and use a smart phone with a vent mount above the radio. So far so good, however the dangling power cord I'd like to minimize. Presently, I have a tiny cigarette lighter to usb converter located under the shifter (in that odd open bay), and then the cord travels up the entire dash.

Would like to run the cord behind the dash and, if possible, have the cord pop through the air vent to power the phone. That said, would not want to interrupt air systems by puncturing through the duct and am not familiar w/the schematics to understand what options exist under the dash. Prefer not to drill through the dash, but would consider.
    Second, but lower priority, would be to hardwire the cable inside the dash.

Best spot I can locate as an exit for the power cable might be the space just outside the air vent, but still inside the vent cavity. Anyone have links to the dashboard schematics to get an idea of available space?

Update - reattaching the images.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

#1 PixelRogue, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    willemke likes this.
  2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I routed the power cable for my Garmin as follows.
    12v outlet down the left side of the console to under the driver's seat.
    Under the floor mat, extra cable in the empty "box" space behind the parking brake.
    Pushed into the joint between the molding and dash components close to the driver's door.
    The only cable that is obvious is shown in the picture.
    Garmin-1.jpg