1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to I get Toyota to pay for...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by douglasjre, Dec 10, 2013.

1. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ...the traction battery? I have an 08 with 163k and the battery goes from fully charged to dead and back very easily. Stopping for just one traffic light can charge from dead to over-full. Upon stopping the engine actually has to start and drain off the surplus from overcharge. Upon starting the car the air conditioner can easily drain all the lines off the SOC monitor within a minute.

I'm in FL, a CARB state. How do I get Toyota to pay for the battery?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota will not replace the battery under warranty unless it triggers a diagnostic code.

Also I just re-read your post and you are beyond the 150k warranty for a CARB state.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Short answer: You don't.

I'm pretty famous for ripping into the dealers, and personally I wouldn't lose much sleep if they ate a traction battery or two, but I think that Toyota has held up their end of the log for the battery warranty.

You're going to have to upgrade or explore a re-manufactured pack (1-2K)
    There are lots of information on the G2 out there, and I wouldn't expect a battery pack to croak out @ 160k under normal use, but while I'd be pretty comfortable replacing a battery pack, I'd probably want a little adult supervision before I cracked the case on the battery pack myself.

If it were me?
    I'd do a cut-copy-paste on the traction battery for <2k and put another 160k on the car, or wait for the whoop-de-do to die down over the 2016 Prius and get one of those.

Your call.

Good Luck.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not think Florida was a CARB state in 2008. I am not sure it is a CARB state now.

Question of CARB states battery warranty. | PriusChat

(where I do see FL listed, they admit that the Executive branch has issued policy, but the Legislature has enacted no law)

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you really can't complain about 163,000 miles. i would shop around for a used or rebuilt and bite the bullet if you want to keep it. all the best!(y)