1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to ID a G1 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 1, 2004.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ever since my fascination with Prius started earlier this year, I've been looking for Prii on the roads. The problem is that the Gen1 Prius looks a lot like an Echo. A few times, I've thought that I saw a Prius, but had to look at the back and sure enough, it was an Echo.

I've noticed in pictures that Gen1 Prius have what appear to be vents behind and beneath the back windows. Is that the telltale sign?

I normally didn't care if I got it right or not until yesterday. Walking out of a store and towards Priapus (excellent parking right up front where everyone could gawk), I saw a scholarly-looking man in what looked like a Gen1 Prius turning into the lot. As I reached for Priapus' door, I waved and he waved back. :wave:

Was it a Prius moment or is he still trying to figure out how I know him?

So for future reference, how does one recognize a Gen1 Prius for sure?

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that the spoiler is the ID but then it is past you. Try picking out the Honda Civics. While we are on the subject can you pick out a 04 with SS/SE just by looking at it, on the fly of course?

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well sure. SE/SS Prii don't have keys in their dashboards. :) Actually, do non-SE/SS have the black lockers on the handles?

4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

The gen 1 prius has no spoiler and was only sold in japan
    The "classic" prius has a vent behind the rear passanger window on the driver's side, it also has a spoiler

I too used to have trouble telling them form eco s, but once you find a classic you'll be able to pic them out with accuracy

the classic also looks different from the rear than the echo

plus the classic only comes in certain colors

5. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

good question

the one's that have a map on the multi-display, fog lamps on the front and black spots on the front doors and hatch, will have SS/SE

6. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

if it has nav on the screen
    black spots on the doors
    and fog lamps you've positively IDed a BC package :) and hence SS/SE equiped prius

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

The way I can usually tell is from the hood where it meets closer to the bumper. Haven't seen another car where it kind of "dips down" in the center. From the back it's easier because it is SO TALL in the trunk.

Then there is what in MY OPINION is kind of an ugly interior. The built in look of the screen and the steering wheel are my least fave parts.

**That's just MY opinion of the interior, if we could prevent a flame war I'd appreciate it**

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    classics are easy to spot for me. they dont have a hatchback, no split rear window, smaller body, *huge* stick shift... well huge compared to the 04's.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the antenna is the dead give away on a Classic. It's on the front of the roof. Spot it a block away easily. Battery vent on the LH rear pillar if your passing it and want a positive ID. Spoiler if you only get to see the rear. If your following it, Prius script on the trunk lid.

10. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

so not much changed on the outside from the original to the classic, but to the HSD versions Much changed inside and out?

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Antenna, combined with front hood lines and headlight shape (which now are shaped much like a Civic SI) are a front give-away. Side are wheels (if stock), antenna placement and battery vent (from left). Rear is the forward antenna, spoiler ('01-'03), tail-light configuration, and of course if close, the Prius and Hybrid badging.

Colors also seem to do it - especially in the very common Aqua color, or the rare '02 only Blue Moon Pearl (which I have) :)

12. madams

madams New Member

I have an 03' Prius and I love it. Actually I wish they had left the instrument cluster in the center on the 04'. I do wish they had made the gear shift a little smaller but that is a minor complaint. Actually I find a couple of models of the Ford Focus to 'look' like my Prius at a quick glance. I know the ICE in the Echo is the same as the 03' Prius and as mentioned before the way the center of hood almost but not quite touches the bumper is the quickest way to spot an 01' - 03' Prius. Actually, and I'm not sure why the Echo really looks cheap compared to the Prius -- not as substantial by any means.

13. bookrats

bookrats New Member

We have a lot of Echos and Prius Classics around here; I'd say the seemingly higher (and uglier) rear end of the Echo is the easiest way to differentiate between the two.

The Echo has a more triangular shape, with the slant from the rear end to the front of the hood being much more pronounced than the Prius Classic.

PS to Madams: Like the avatar! Especially because I initially thought it said, "Press us, Geek". Made me think of Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (the book).

14. madams

madams New Member

Thanks Bookrats, I kinda like it too. My License Plate reads 'PREE US' since most people when they first try to pronounce the name say PRY US. It is educational as well as bragging! I've been toying around with Free US Pree US! OR Press Here to Boot up the system.

15. madams

madams New Member

Thanks Bookrats, I kinda like it too. My License Plate reads 'PREE US' since most people when they first try to pronounce the name say PRY US. It is educational as well as bragging! I've been toying around with Free US Pree US! Which could be read a number of ways. OR Press to Boot -- Geek.