1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to impress friends and relations.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kablooie, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When explaining the Prius to people, I always get the most reaction by saying:

"It takes 9 gallons to fill the tank and I can go over 400 miles on that".

This seems to makes a much stronger impression than saying that I get 47 mpg.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true. A manager at Jiffy Lube came over and asked me about the Prius yesterday. He had no clue what I meant by 4.4L/100km (~54mpg) so I told him I'm at 278kms with over half a tank left and I expect 700-750km on this tank. He asked about the size of the tank and after I told him that, he seemed to understand.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I was talking to a guy and when I told him 500+ miles per tank, so naturally he asked the size. I said, "11.8 gallons" to which my wife said, "just say 12." I knew the guy understood because he said, "actually, you could probably get another ten miles on the difference."

4. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You and your wife should split the difference. :) It's actually 11.9 according to the specs on www.prius.com (I double-checked b/c I somehow got it in my silly head that it was 12.9). Sorry for picking nits.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :-D

As for picking nits, when I say 500+ on a tank, it's actually more like 500+ on ~10 gallons. I don't have the nads to drive too far after that last bar blinks even though history hsa taught me that there's usually a couple gallons still in the bladder.