1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to inflate tire easily in gas station?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by highroller, Oct 2, 2017.

1. highroller

highroller Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I have a Prius c. I tried to inflate tire at gas station, and had difficulty. The opening of the air pump is bigger than the tire air opening, so more air leaking out than going in. It took me an hour to properly inflate all 4 tires.

I used to have a portable tire inflator and it's much easier. I think it's because it had the correct size for the opening of the air pump. Is there a adapter that I can buy that I can fit in the opening?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i know of, have you tried a different gas station?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Presta or schrader are the two types, schrader, the type you have is standard with all cars and trucks, if the station has a broken unit, report it, or go elsewhere

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did your c come with any sort of covers on the wheels?

The wheel covers on my liftback are kind of in the way for some air chucks. If I find just the perfect angle I can make it work, but I find it easier to just pop them off and put them back on when finished.

-Chap

5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You should have given up a LOT sooner and looked for another air compressor that wasn't all beat up by public use and owner neglect.

The little sealing gasket that is supposed to be INSIDE the air nozzle was probably missing or badly damaged.
    That is typical of gas station air nozzles.

Pretty much all air nozzles are pretty loose........because the seal takes place at a different spot.

P.S. Whoever usually does your oil changes probably will air up your tires for free......or a Toyota dealer.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I gave up on gas stations once they went to those ridiculous 1/4 gallon 1/2 horse power air compressors that will barely inflate balloons at a birthday party. Back in the day, gas stations use to house their own 150 gallon 5 horse power or larger air compressors. Now, they have these pay as you go pieces of garbarge that usually don't have the right adapter on them. Ok, now that I have bored you with my stories, my solution was to buy a compressor at your local Auto Parts store. I don't know where you live, but here in California the store Harbor Freight Tools has the best selection and competitive prices. They range from $50 on up. I got a 2 gallon. I should have gotten an 8 gallon for $124. This would be your long term solution. I have attached a photo of a page offering air compressors at various prices.

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I got the sense the OP was looking for solutions that didn't involve buying a compressor, but if we're going there, why not have it along all the time? :)

[​IMG]

I don't have a c, so I don't know if there's any comparable space. Is there a compact spare in a c?

-Chap

8. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The air chuck must mate with the face of the valve stem, not the side. This requires you to press the chuck very hard and square to the face onto the stem sometimes. If there is an intact rubber face seal in the chuck it will seal.
    Long range, I'd recommend you buy a Harbor Freight air compressor for $39 and don't worry about it anymore.

X