1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to install extra 12V plug

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by zenMachine, Oct 7, 2008.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I couldn't find old threads that talk about this, so let me ask the question anew. I'm trying to install an extra 12V plug by tapping into the one in the center console. But I'm not sure which wire(s) to tap. Is it the white with black stripe that's hot? The existing plug is connected to that one and a small grey wire. There's no ground wire, apparently. Or am I missing something?

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume you mean receptical, not plug... here's my page on the subject, that shows what I did.

Prius 12V outlets

3. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant receptacle (or socket).

I'm trying to tap off the one in the center console. I don't see any green wire going to that receptacle. Only a grey one and a white/black one. Is the grey wire for ACC mode switching?

4. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here are some pics I took of the 12V connector behind the center console.

Attached Files:

5. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the picts - could you tell us what you tapped to get it and can you give us one more pic not so close so we can see its final look.

Thanks

6. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At this moment I don't know which wire to tap. Hence the original question.

It doesn't appear that the center console's 12V jack has the same wiring as the one under the front dash.

BTW, the picture shows what the bottom of the console looks like, looking upward. The square receptacle at the top is the Aux jack.

7. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The grey and white/black wires that go to the receptacle are only on when the car is on. The green 'always-on' wire being referred to looks like it's only located at the fuse box. I don't think it's in the console. Basically, you tap that wire and then run an extension to a new or existing socket.

8. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Understand. I wasn't trying to install an always-on socket, but one that'd only get turned on when in ACC or IG-ON mode. I tried tapping that white/black wire but nothing happened. Guess the simplest way is to get a Y adapter. I just hate having cables all over the car.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put an extra outlet in the back of my console and used a test light to find the hot wire in the back of the console which provides power to the outlet in the centre box.
    The outlet in the back is handy for laptop power for my son on a trip.

10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do you remember which wire it was? If not, could you (when you have some time) pop off the cup holder in the back and take some pics? Would like very much to also see how/where your installed the outlet itself.

Thx!