1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to install HID/LED Bi-Xenon on Gen 1 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DRACO, Jan 26, 2016.

1. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Here is another contribution to the Classic Gen1 Prius:

MIL needed brighter lights, "let there be light" :-D

Safety first: disconnect 12volt battery at both Negative and Positive side, in that order

This installation tutorial is for the HID Bi-Xenon H4's aka 9003 (H4B2) Hi-Lo 35Watt, LED would be similar if you choose the same constant 12 volt source I chose.

Product is an eBay Special $67.00+ S&H, I have previously purchased from the same seller for 3 other cars. All worked well and great light for the price.

Luckily, in a recent diagnostic event, I removed and inspected the 12Volt 100AMP fuse in the Gen1 Main Fuse box in the engine bay. This will be the constant 12 volt source. If this is too scary for you. skip this step, pull a proper gauged and fused wire from the trunk to the engine bay.

I attempted to find a rubber grommet to pull the wire from the trunk thru the cab to the engine bay, but I failed.

SAFETY #1
    1. Disconnect the 12v Battery, Negative should be enough but I did not want to take any chances. Confirmed, no Voltage at my identified 12v source
    [​IMG]

Tapping 12v at Fuse Box:
    2. Remove Main Fuse Box Cover. (like changing the standard bulbs remove the wiper fluid filler neck and ICE, radiator reservoir)
    3. Remove 2 10MM bolts ( you can also remove the 10MM bolt for the AC bracket and remove the 4 electrical connectors on the side, it will give you a little more room to maneuver )
    4. Un-clip lower Fuse Box housing, move it down and the middle section should now be able to slip out of the side retaining plastic post, flip the middle section side to access all the electrical connectors under the fuses and relays, remove one by one. it will allow you to gain more access to the 12v 100AMP fuse holder ( this one pushes down when you push in the side tabs)
    [​IMG]
    I decided to trim the plastic pole retainer using my PVC pipe cutter, makes it so much easier to put back
    [​IMG]

5. I chose the connection directly across the 12V Connector pole. ( I confirmed it was a 12 volt source again then disconnected it to continue installation)
    [​IMG]

6. Laid out the wiring to insure it is not too short, maybe I should have done this first, but I knew it would fit. Not my first rodeo :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Connected the 12 volt with 25amp fuse from the HID system. Torqued to 48inch lbs
    [​IMG]
    Put all the FUSE box components back together

8. Used the pre-existing grounds, for extra measure, cleaned both down to metal and once fitted, sprayed some clear coat to keep it from rusting. This HID system requires a solid clean ground.
    [​IMG]

9. Installed the HID nose shield into the light housing, used the OEM rubber boot then the HID bi-xenon bulbs, Connected everything for a dry run before I buttoned everything up.

10. Connected 12 Volt Battery POSITIVE side first then the Negative side.

WE HAVE ILLUMINATION :D Both Hi & Lo were perfectly, no lag in between.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MIL seems happy but she was under the weather :-/

#1 DRACO, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    EddieAtl likes this.
  2. DRACO

DRACO Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Update:

Changed to OEM color, Oh yeah much better light and she can see even better :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EddieAtl and xliderider like this.