1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to jump start a Prius

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by hybrid64, Jul 31, 2010.

1. hybrid64

hybrid64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius is dead according to my daughter who is borrowing it while I replace the fuel pump in her Pontiac, she called the Toyota dealer and he told her that she might be able to jump start it, how do you jump start it without damaging it?

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If your daughter knows the difference between red and black, and + and -; and can hook up red to red, + to +, or red to + as appropriate (and do the same with black, -, and body ground) then she too can jump start a Prius. However you must be 100% sure that she can do this because the cost of a screw-up will be a four-digit repair bill (the inverter will likely be fried).

If you have any doubt that she can make that distinction, then it would be better for you just to buy a new 12V battery and install it; or have the car towed to a place where this can be done for her.

Your owner's manual will provide details about the jump start process (which can either occur at the battery located in the hatch floor or at the main relay/fuse box near the inverter) and you can also do a search here for numerous stories about jump start successes and failures. Good luck.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Considering the high dollar damage of a jump gone wrong. it seems like they should have included a protection relay that would electrically disconnect the jumper cable from the car if a reverse polarity jump was attempted.

That could be a good thing to add as an accessory because sometimes chit happens, even to people who normally don't mess up.

5. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    jump starting is so easy. anyone who messes it up befuddles me.

step a) the RED jumper cable, also known as the positive terminal in every country and language fathomable, goes to the jumping terminal in the fuse box, at least in a Gen III. if you don't know where your terminal is, look in the owners manual.

step b) the BLACK jumper cable, known as the negative terminal in every country and language fathomable, goes on the FRAME of the car. It doesn't go to anything electrical related or any wire or nothing like that. just connect the black cable to a bolt or screw or the CV boot or anything metal that is connected to the body of the car. most people don't understand the concept of grounding and how the whole body of the car is the conduit for the negative charge to travel.

step c) press power.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pretty good Colonel, but not as precaution oriented for the newbie. It is unnecessary for the donor vehicles engine to run. Extra current supplied could harm the Prius! Also, as soon as Prius powers up, disconnect cables. and 3rd, caution is to run the car for at least 15 min, 30 min is better to bring the Battery up to previous parameters. You have the option of either driving it, or just leaving in ready with engine running periodically to charge the HV. In turn the HV will charge the 12V. AND last, monitor the 12V , either by the self check system or a multi-meter! WHAT, you don't have a multimeter! I urge you to buy one.:D

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can do this in TWO steps with a LOT less typing:

Step a) Pick up mobile phone

Step b) Call AAA.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i tend to keep a jump box in my car just incase it dies. accidents do happen

the jump box has a polarity correction... thing.. on it.. so if it's hooked up wrong, it won't turn on.

it's easy enough to crawl into the hatch area, pop the hatch.. and hook it up.

9. priuslover08

priuslover08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And, I think, the battery is in the back, right side.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But it is easier to jump from the dedicated jump point under the hood.

Tom

11. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I made a video on how to jump start a gen 2 prous.
    I always prefer to jump directly to the battery. I have helped repair more than one prius that was jumped backwards from the confusing under hood jump points. Also accessing the battery gets you one step closer to replacing the battery if needed.