1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to lower top speed

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by crayola, Sep 19, 2013.

1. crayola

crayola Junior Member

Hi PC,

As the title states I'm determined to find a way to lower the top speed of my prius C. I sort of wish that I had cruise control which would make holding a constant speed easier. But currently modulating the gas pedal whilst looking at the speedometer to maintain 60 mph is a little tedious. I believe by electronically lowering the top speed of my prius to 55 or 60 mph. I could then rest my foot lightly on the gas pedal and lift only when needed.

The Prius uses a drive-by-wire system that monitors speed, power, load and throttle position on some sort of scale or map. There has to be away to shrink or trim back the scale to 60 mph. Cruise control in away is a form of limiting or holding constant the speed of the car while, power and load modulate or change.

Your thoughts please....

2. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    this is quite interesting...

3. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i think changing that might be a bit dangerous. if you have to overtake somebody, its going to be hard. traveling at 60 with no more speed after that doesnt seem safe.

TheyCmeNow likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. X HCH2

X HCH2 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Pull off two spark plug wires?
    X

Stevie likes this.
  6. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I'm still laughing.
    I suggest you get an aftermarket cruise or see if Toyota has a cruise kit to add to your C1. Its probablty cheaper than all the ways you can linit top speed and increase your fuel consumption. Wait, maybe a block of wood behind the gas pedal but that won't truly be a cruise control .
    There is one aftermarket at Laurinburg, NC but I don't know if they offer cruise for the Prius C, its google time.

7. crayola

crayola Junior Member

This weekend I installed the Rostra cruise control kit. I was surprised at how easy the kit went into the car. The hardest part for me was just disconnecting the negative battery cable. I didn't have the proper tools, needless to say I stripped the bolt with my janky set of pliers. Also If I wanted to steal someones airbag or ECU I know exactly how to do it... quickly :D:D

Used the cruise control all the way to work today. The car seemed to constantly have to accelerate to keep the set speed on a flat road surface. Almost felt like my car was being towed. I was able to get 53mpg without even trying once I set it to 60mph. Usually when I drive by foot I get about 57 or higher.

Thanks,