1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to make 12V 'cigarette' outlet stay on permanently?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tcjohnsson, May 14, 2005.

1. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson New Member

I think I read somewhere that one of the two 12V outlets on the Prius can be re-wired so that it is "on" ALL the time, instead of just being on when the car is on. Many cars have a 12V outlet that is always on and it's great for keeping your cell phone, iPod, or other low-power device topped off at all times. Thanks in advance for any solutions.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave, at coastaletech.com, posted instructions for this. He also sells a little 'kit' if you want to save time hunting down the couple of parts you need, but you can get everything for a buck or two at Radio Shack.

http://coastaletech.com/power_outlet_mod.htm

3. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson New Member

SUPER! THANK YOU!!!

4. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"89384)</div>
    I just received my car today... JOY!!!! I was thinking that the center console 12V outlet would be MUCH more convenient to have on all the time than the dash outlet. Anyone know how to modify the wiring to get this outlet to be on all the time?

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

MUCH more trickier. First off, the dedicated 15A fuse it uses is incorporated into the driver junction box using a high current bus that is switched in ACC mode. You could remove the wire and tap it elsewhere, but use an inline fuseholder if you do.

I wonder though if one could move the dedicated fuse and socket on the driver junction box to another slot whose bus socket was constantly on?

In either way you do it, the dash outlet is activated via a relay that is turned on using the console outlet power. If you make the console outlet constantly on, then the relay will be constantly drawing power, which may drain the battery excessively.

6. bobc

bobc New Member

Yes, it would seem that one could swap the wires to another slot in the fuse panel. There are several others specifically, fuse# 10, 22, 27 and 28 that have constant power. The wires from that power outlet could be re-routed to one of these.

Would want to look into what the draw would be if the relay was always on. But, with cells phones, laptops and such, once the batteries are charged, wouldn't they stop calling for power and the relay would open?

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Nope, relay doesn't work that way. The dash fuse has constant power, but the power is interrupted by a relay, which is controlled by the console outlet power which has its own fuse, but is switched. The energizing of the relay has nothing to do with power demand out of the outlet.
    Coastal's mod bypasses the relay contacts, thus leaving the dash outlet powered, no matter what state the relay is in.

So if the coil draws 10mA, then at least 10mA would be drawn from the battery when off over what is currently drawn. We would still need the coastal mod to power the dash relay, then the relay could be removed or it's coil power disconnected.

I have discovered that 1,2,6 on 1D, 4,6,8, on 1K, 6 on 1O, and pin 13 on 1N go to unused fuse slots whose source is unswitched. If I don't get to visit a friend this weekend, I might play with this.

8. bobc

bobc New Member

Dan,
    You probably already know this but Tom, on his website, has which unused fuse slots goes to what pins. He also highlights which have constant power versus when in IG-On:

http://www.vfaq.net/proj-pics/fuses/

FYI: His findings are slightly different than the list in your post.

I'd be interested in hearing about your findings as I'm still planning on hooking up my lumbar supports and seat heaters via the harnesses.

Meanwhile, the search goes on for the pin that fits into these harnesses.....

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, I got most of them right based on http://www.vfaq.net/proj-pics/fuses/JB-fuses.gif.

I was using page 32-34 (PDF page 13-15) of http://www.vfaq.net/proj-pics/fuses/relayloc.pdf

I was following the line originating from 1B-1 shown on page 32(13)

On second look, it seems either he is wrong about 1D-1, or page 32 is wrong. If you follow the vertical line from 1B-1, you see the first 3 open slots are 1D-1, 1D-6, and 1O-6. Then follows 1K-4 and 1N-13, then 1D-2 by itself. Moving on to the next page, same line (first vertical feed from left continuing from top) 1K-8 and 1K-6.

Only one we seem to disagree on is 1D-1.

10. tcjohnsson

tcjohnsson New Member

Has anyone been able to figure out an easier way to have the center console 12V power outlet be powered all the time?

Wow! I can't believe it's been three years since I posted to this forum!