1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to make my Prius quieter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sea-horsea, Sep 10, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I've read some posts way before i got my prius about mod. the doors and it will reduce the noise while driving high speed...I try to remmebered the product called but no luck. Has anyone done the mod. to their prius and does it really improve a lot? if so can you share your tricks/installation/where to purchase and all the info. you have? thank you

2. skandale

skandale Member

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tires and tire pressure also make a big difference.

Tom

4. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]510010[/snapback]</div>

All in all you can't make that big of a difference though. I put it in my doors and floor and while it is better than before...you'll never get close to the quiet of some of the luxury cars out there. I've also changed tires and, once again, while better...there's still significant road noise.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try parking it in a library, and let the librarians shush it until it learns to be quieter.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Sep 10 2007, 05:09 AM) [snapback]509946[/snapback]</div>
    It'd be nice to know what your view is on 'high speed' ... 50? 60? breakin' the law?
    Our Prius is extreamly quiet, while hyper mileing ... or when we take bikes in stead. More data please.

7. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Sep 10 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]510089[/snapback]</div>
    My touring is very quiet. It mostly depends on what the surface of the road is. Other than tire noise there isnt much at all.

8. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Sep 10 2007, 12:41 PM) [snapback]510095[/snapback]</div>
    Same with the standard version. Almost all of the noise is road noise from the tires and road surface. The only exception to this is when the ICE revs up to warp drive.

Tom

9. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've used about 80sf of Secondskin's Damplifier on mine. Doors, floor, roof, trunk, and hood.
    The avg noise level inside my car at 65mph on Hwy 75 has gone from about 82db to 72db.
    On some quieter roads I've registered as low as 68db at the same speed.

I'm thinking of adding Spectrum to the wheel wells to reduce tire noise. It's the biggest annoyance
    now that everything else has quieted down quite a bit... :)

I think 2nd Skin is a much better value than Dynamat, which is way overpriced.
    You can view their products here: http://secondskinaudio.com/

10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have B-Quiet Extreme installed.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Sep 11 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]510656[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe you could do it like a Russian sub and cover your Prius with six inches of rubber.

Tom

12. acdii

acdii Active Member

Compared to the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, the Prius is very quiet, Depending on the road, when it is smooth the car is very quiet. What surprised me the other day on the highway, I had my window down and a semi came up along my drivers side, and was loud. I rolled the window up and was the noise went way down to where I barely heard it. When you consider the type of car, the size of it and such, the prius is a very well made quiet comfortable car, unlike earlier models of Toyotas, where road noise and engine noise were all you heard.

Compared to the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis, the Prius is very quiet, Depending on the road, when it is smooth the car is very quiet. What surprised me the other day on the highway, I had my window down and a semi came up along my drivers side, and was loud. I rolled the window up and was the noise went way down to where I barely heard it. When you consider the type of car, the size of it and such, the prius is a very well made quiet comfortable car, unlike earlier models of Toyotas, where road noise and engine noise were all you heard.