1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Muzzle a Smart Key's Emissions?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jimolson, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My wife and I both have Gen II Prii equipped with the Smart Key System. Our driveway is narrow and thus we freely trade cars. This means that I must carry both SKS key fobs (hers and mine) in my pants pocket.

I investigated the possibility of coding either the cars or the keys so that I need only carry one fob. However, I was told by several knowledgeable techs that this is not possible.

However, the cumulative pocket wad consisting of two SKS fobs plus assorted house keys is wearing premature holes in my Dockers, to say nothing of the fact that I'm carrying around $500 worth of precious Toyota fobs in my jeans.

My desire is to store her metallic door key inside my fob (thus giving me the ability to unlock her doors) and thereafter store my copy of her fob somewhere inside her car where I can retrieve it easily on days when I drive her car.

Anyone who owns two SKS-equipped Prii knows the comical behaviors these cars exhibit when they sniff two identically-coded fobs in their lair.

Question: In what kind of shielded container can I store her SKS fob so that her Prius cannot sniff it while that fob resides inside her vehicle?

As an electrical engineer, my training tells me that a closed container made of copper or brass should suffice here. However, I am fearful that such an enclosure would load down the LF transmitter in the fob and drain its button battery quickly. With my luck, I would learn that after she has left for work in my car.

Question: Is there any way to electrically squelch/deafen the hidden fob short of removing its battery?

The ideal solution to my pocket wad problem would be for some enterprising fellow to tool up a new plastic fob housing that accepts the electronic guts from two SKS fobs. I'd pay $100 for such a housing.

While he's at it, the enterprising fellow would also tool up single fob housings to replace the Toyota-supplied ones that wear out after six months...

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    tin foil.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aluminum foil works just fine. So does a small metal box, assuming the cover makes good contact.

The fob does not transmit on its own, but only when queried by the car. Inside a Faraday cage it sits quietly without wasting power.

Tom

4. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Several things that you can do to reduce the key contingent:

1. For each keyfob, add it to the transponder ("key in dash") list for the other car. While a keyfob is tied to a single car for the SKS and remote button functions, it can be added to any number of cars for use in the keyslot. The only limit is a maximum of 5 transponders for each car. Use the instructions at http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...lly-how-program-non-sks-key-fob-detailed.html

2. Duplicate the small mechanical keys from each keyfob onto ordinary size Toyota keyblanks. Any place that duplicates keys can do it for about $2 each.

You can now carry one keyfob that has full function on one car. For the other car, you can use a mechanical key to lock/unlock the door and the same keyfob inserted into the dash.

You could rekey the door lock on one car to match the mechanical key for the other car. That way you wouldn't need to carry an extra mechanical key. You probably would want to replace the small mechanical keys with official keyfob size keys cut for the new key cylinder. Blank mechanical keys are about $7 each at a Toyota parts outlet. Getting them cut may be a problem at cheap key duplication places, so this is probably a job for a real locksmith or a Toyota dealer.

6. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right - any Faraday's cage would do, so any container made of conductive material. If I remember correctly, the FOB is a
    RFID device, so it does not transmit anything on its own, as Qbee42 said. There is a transmitter in the car, in the proximity of the door handle, which periodically broadcast queries whether a FOB is somewhere around. The FOB only answers the call. If the FOB really did transmit anything on its own, the little battery in it would not last very long.

Or, you can disable the SKS function at all, or remove the battery from the FOB, and use it as a passive RFID device - it would still work when plugged into the socket on the dashboard and would allow you to start the car, even without the battery inside.

7. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    All of these ideas are good.

Qbee42, thanks for reminding me of that technical term from freshman year 39 years ago: "Faraday cage".

Has anyone in this forum posted the locations on the vehicle of the SKS transmitter coils? It seems that I should be able to locate a dead spot somewhere within arm's reach of the driver seat where I could store my wife's fob on a Velcro strip.

8. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Location of the coils can be found in the user's guide (it is in the direct vicinity of the handle on the driver and passenger doors and on the hatch), but I don't think you'll be able to find a dead spot within the car. I tried, but the location of the FOB works extremely well. The car was able to locate it anywhere within.

9. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It probably won't work on a Prius, but back in the "good ole days" I had a Ford pickup and a Lincoln town car at the same time. Back then, even though the key was double-sided, the tumblers in the lock only read one side. I had the locksmith make me a key with one side cut for the truck and the other side cut for the town car.

All I had to do was put the key in one way for the truck and with the other side up for the car. (One key, two cars)

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There does seem to be a dead spot on the floor behind the front seats - I once gave my GF the second fob while I had the main one - we were traveling in Oregon, and I wanted her to be able to get in the car if we got separated. She left her purse (with fob) in the car. I was able to lock the car with SKS normally a few times, but at one stop it protested with a long beep. I discovered then that she had left the fob in the car.

If you really wanted to keep the second fob in the car, you could get (or make) one of those magnetic key holders (metal box with magnet attached) and then attach it under the front seat to the metal seat frame.

Keep the magnet away from the hall effect accelerator pedal - we don't want to read about your car taking off into a field unexpectedly. :madgrin: