1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To: Nav System Sensor Defeat - Use Nav while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dsm42, Feb 5, 2004.

1. dsm42

dsm42 New Member

Questions re: Nav/Speed Sensor modification

First thanks much to Evan for putting this together. It's of tremendous benefit. I just had a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone ever installed a timer switch for this in the 2004 Prius? (so that the passenger doesn't have to keep flipping the switch to type on the screen) I found an article showing how to do so for the classic Prius - http://www.priuscar.com/nav_speed_disconnect.htm - but I'd like to know that it would work for the 2004.

Also, does there exist a single device that combines a timer and a switch? It might be helpful for saving space...

2) In Step 4, through what opening do you thread the wires into the console? When I took a look at my car, I didn't see offhand where this would go...

Thanks much,
    Dave.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Questions re: Nav/Speed Sensor modification

You're welcome, I'll do my best to answer the rest of your questions.

No one, that I'm aware of, has done so yet on an '04. But, there is absolutely no reason it wouldn't work the same way. That's a good link that should probably be included in the next update.

No idea, a good electronics store should be able to find you something.

Pull off the front facing/cup holder unit and you'll see a slot all the way down both sides. It's no problem at all to thread the wires up.

In the next update I'll include the link to the timer switch install. Also, I think I'll recommend using longer wires (2'-3') and/or using some sort of connector so that the center console can be removed by just unplugging the connector. As it stands now, if I need to have any work done or need to get access under the console I'm going to have to cut and splice the wires. Now that I think of it...I might just try to find a connector/plug and install it just to show what can be done.

3. hdanzige

hdanzige New Member

Side Effects?

Thanks for this great update; I've been waiting for someone to post something like this!

I was curious though if clicking this button will have any side effects such as [more] incorrect mpg readings, or anything else I can't think of.

Thanks!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Side Effects?

That wire has no effect on anything else. It has one job and one job only--transmit speed data to the nav. You interupt it and the nav gets briefly disoriented, sends and error code, the GPS takes over the speed sensor roll until you reset the system.

5. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Here is a photo of both speed sensor defeat switches installed. (GPS & Bluetooth phone)
    The black NC push button (lower left of photo) is for the GPS. The red push on/push off (in glove compartment) is for the phone.

6. Gen2

Gen2 Member

Thank you Evan, This is excellent. I had ignored this hack until today because this weekend my wife and I were out on an adventure and got quite lost. We were not in a place where we could safely stop to use the NAV, so we had to continue for a very long time until we could stop and use the system.

In a frustrated tone, my wife said "I wish there were a way to have the passenger use the NAV while the car was in motion", to which I sheepishly replied that Evan had already posted the mod, but I ignored it thinking we could always pull over to use the system.

OK, so I was wrong, let the hacking begin :)