1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to pick a dealer for service?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Feb 22, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought my Prius from a dealer that's pretty far from my workplace.
    I haven't decided which dealer I will be taking it for maintenance.

Any recommendations for SF Bay Area Toyota dealers for service?

Is there an independent rating system anywhere?

thanks

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the only, and probably best, rating system is word of mouth. there are tons of service experiences posted here, i'm sure you'll be able to find a place that's good that's reasonably nearby.

it's not always the dealer that's the problem but the individual tech. keep that in mind. some are great at fixing cars and at customer service, and some are ***holes who are only in it for the money. you'll see through that real quick.

3. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

4. the fish

the fish Member

galaxee is right. It also helps to get to know one of the service managers and keep using them over and over.

You could always pick the dealer with the most recent renovation - at least the waiting area will be nice. I hate taking the kids to a dealer with no decent waiting area.

5. Springtime

Springtime Member

I don't know about specific dealers in your area, but, I would find out if a dealer has one or more techs who "work" on the Prius. When I asked about service my dealer said I could have service work done by the Prius tech of my choice. This may have been sales hype - I have been having my previous Toyota Tercel serviced at this dealership for 12 years and very happy with the service. But I never had a particular tech of my very own!

With the Prius the dealership indicated that when my 5000 mile service came due I should come in select and meet my "Prius tech". When I schedule service I can specify the tech I want to work on my car! Do hope I get one that knows that the Prius holds less than 4 quarts of oil.

Again, I am not sure if this is sales hype, if only certain people are qualified to service the Prius or if it is a way for service techs to build their own customer base - but it does make me feel special.

Springtime

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    -yep, most dealers have at least one Prius Tech. i think it's a good thing that they're letting you choose- but if you don't like the one you choose, let them know you want to try another one.

-it's actually a good idea to stick with one tech. of course, make sure he earns your business and if he doesn't, try someone else. but overall this is good for everyone i think. you get someone who knows you and what you expect out of your car, and then if he's really good you have more confidence in the quality of his repair work as opposed to having someone you don't know do it. and the regular business supports him as well, techs have to make a huge investment in tools and such so it's nice to have regulars they can count on for periodic services in addition to the people who just come in when they need something major. plus, you might just find your oil got changed for free or something while he was waiting for something else. if he's that kinda guy. ;)

-Prius Techs require extensive certification. my husband is doing his prerequisite training right now. you get your ASE master (8 certifications by the national standard in automotive service), then take a bunch of online courses, then one week a month at regional HQ for 4 months, then a couple days at a time at regional centers for a few more months, then some more online classes, then off to Prius school. they don't want anyone who doesn't know their stuff working with that kind of electrical power.

:)