1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To Pick A Salesman: This Worked for Me

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cjhinpa, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cjhinpa

cjhinpa Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, like lots of people, I love cars, but feel like I need to dress in a protective suit to deal with slimey dealer sales types. I had been to the local dealership about six months ago for a Prius test drive. Naturally the first guy holding up a wall pipes up and askes if we need help. So I bite and ask for a Prius test drive. Well, it became apparent during the test drive that the guy fell asleep during Prius product training. Didn't know much at all.

OK, so now we are ready to actually buy one of these cars. How do I find the guy in that dealership who really knows the Prius?

So I walked in with my wife, politely declined the offer of assitance by the first guy who nailed me 10 feet in the door and walked to the service dept., asked for the service manager, then asked him who on the sales floor knows THE MOST about the Prius. He disaappeared and introduced me to Aaron. Aaron proved to be completely up on all things Prius and a gem to work with. Now, it turns out that Aaron was the guy who greeted us right inside the door as noted above. After our introduction, I apologized for pasing him by, but he seemed to understand that I was determined to find the smartest Prius guy in the place.

The subsequent very detailed introduction to the cars systems was excellent. We were then able to deviate from the standard level route test drive to a slightly longer one that included a brief stretch of expressway and a climb up the steepest hill in the county which revealed the Prius up the the challenges presented.

We ordered up a Magnetic Grey Touring pkg #4 which is on its way from an upstate NY dealer. We are supposed to pick it up Saturday. So far so good...

Chris

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great suggestion....I think others should do the same with a product like this.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cjhinpa @ Mar 14 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]405760[/snapback]</div>
    I would have asked for the Internet or Fleet Sales Manager to get a beter price.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds great, but ask him to explain "B" mode and see if he
    gets it right.
    _H*

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Mar 14 2007, 09:06 PM) [snapback]405844[/snapback]</div>
    I agree 100%. If you start talking to a regular salespeson you've already lost, and it's time to lube up.

[​IMG]

"Get bids from at least five dealers. Talk only to a sales manager or fleet manager. Here's the basic approach:"

Carbargains Shopping Strategy

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree! As one of those "slimy car salesman" if we had alot of time invested in a customer we would do everything in our power to make the sale. I worked for a Chrysler-Plymouth_Dodge store in the last part of the 80's.. All of us there would bend over backwards to get the customer the best possible deal if that was the issue. If you just asked the sales manager first he's just gonna shoot you a price that will be good to get you to come in. But if you've invested time with a salesperson, at least at our place, and we knew you were a serious buyer we'd give you whatever deal it took to close the sale. Unless you were unreasonable and expected the car below or cost ect. Our motto was" It easier to get another car than another customer."

7. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

I knew more about the Prius than the first salesperson I dealt with. So I found another that knew just a little bit mor than me. - Still could not explain "B" though............

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once I had identified Jeff, my Prius Sales Guy, I showed him PriusChat. He became even more of a Prius Guy.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My own personal Toyota salesman (yes, I own him now) actually explained "B" mode as succinctly and correctly as I could expect a salesman to do. He said "That's engine braking, and it'll slow you down on a hill, just like the 1 or 2 setting in an automatic." None of that "use B to charge the battery" BS.

I got lucky though as I wasn't too picky about who I spoke to at the dealership, or how I negotiated with them. They treated me fairly without any prompting!

10. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Here's another VOTE for dealing with the Internet or Fleet Manager. I made my first contacts with 5 area dealers on the Internet and asked for that person when going to the dealer's showroom. Worked well for me. Made my deal with the best offer from going to all 5 dealers.

11. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't understand this whole thread. I didn't "pick" a salesman. I picked a car. All the salesman did was show me to the car for a test drive, and to the finance desk to write the check. Seriously, if you're relying on a salesman to give reliable car information, you'd be better served by researching it yourself, from PC, friends who have the car, etc. I found the car via internet, drove out to the dealer, and within the hour was on the road, a proud new Prius owner. I don't even know what my salesman's name was, and have never been back to the dealer. I guess, I'm just not into relationships. Happy hunting.

12. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ Mar 15 2007, 04:42 PM) [snapback]406275[/snapback]</div>

Exactly. I don't understand why you can't mail order directly from the manufacturer for a better price and bypass all the ridiculousness.

"Oh, wait while I run those numbers by my manager." At Sun State Ford in Orlando I had a deal worked out after several hours of that. So when they wrote the contract for me to sign they made a "mistake" and made a 3 into an 8, or $500 extra for me to pay. I caught it and walked, and they kept the truck for months. They told me they were going to fire the salesman because he made the mistake. I told them I would write to Ford about it.