1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to put all the plastic panels back on the front?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KadMills, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:53 PM.

1. KadMills

KadMills New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

I have an 07 Touring that managed to keep me out of poverty during school via Uber. Unfortunately, I was Ubering in a bad area with terrible roads.

I now have a real job in a new state. And I have decided to not get rid of my Gen 2, as it is perfect! Except it’s not…

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

During its time in Uber:
    The front and rear bumpers got torn off.

Lower grill disappeared.

Condenser got pummeled with rocks.

Fender got hit.

Mounts for passenger side headlight got cracked.

Intake air resonator got cracked.

Any bit of plastic on the bottom got torn off.

Those little plastic shield things that funnel air into the radiator got torn off.

And more.

Mechanical condition is near perfect, I was working with a skilled, and knowledgeable mechanic that was obsessive with the maintenance intervals.

This is not about practicality, I will get nothing back financially from what I put into this car.

This is about continuing to drive a car that I find easy to service and repaying it for the duty it did for me in a troubled time.

Does anyone have a guide on how to reattach all these plastic pieces properly? What fasteners do I use? In what order do I put on the new fender, bumper, grille, and plastic covers? What question am I too stupid to realize I need to ask?

Thanks in advance!

#1 KadMills, Jul 11, 2024 at 12:53 PM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2024 at 1:00 PM
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You'll get nothing back financially well you won't be paying on a new car and doing repairs on new cars that don't hold up very well. So matter of factly you will be gaining financially from keeping the car You certainly won't be losing I have four of them I'm not going to say they're like printing money but when you have 700 to $1,000 in each one and they're in pretty darn good shape and look pretty good nice interiors is what I care about screw the outside I want people to see a dented up well used outside of my car they won't bother it I can leave the windows down they won't even look in it and grab the $1,000 phone in the console just the way things work and people's minds but all of that stuff you're looking at you're in Indiana where there's I don't know man road salt and funny business maybe I can't remember that part of the country that well If you were here in the southeast United States you could pick up most of these parts sitting in my yard most of those plastic pieces that go on the very bottom of the car don't even worry about those that's a waste of time The lower grill that's cracked in your picture that's white and things like that no problem but all the little plastic pieces that cover the oil pan and all of that stuff let them go don't even worry with those they do nothing for you I'm not sure about the headlight mounts cracking You're talking about the headlight assembly the little tabs broke off that hold the bolts that screw to the crossmember and frame members that hold the light in well you'll have to replace the lamp assembly for that 25 or 30 bucks most places that are sane today only other Prius owners will try to sell them for $60 and $70 a pop on eBay most every other place you go like down the street at some small junkyard 30 bucks a pop or something hell the aftermarket has you covered for the 60 bucks apiece easily of course their lenses are thinner and not as nice but hey they work now that you have a good job I imagine you're not ubering and doing all this driving You're just going back and forth to work? Then you won't need the best headlights and the best of everything You're probably driving in the daytime parking all day in the sun and driving back home via picking up food or what have you but all of the parts you talking about here should be able to be rounded up for pretty much near nothing in the grand scheme of auto parts anyway and you can find places in the southeast United States that will ship all that stuff to you there are generation 2 sitting in tow lots all over the country where people just replace the hybrid battery and a week or two a month later the break actuator goes out now there's a car sitting in the tow lot with a 4-month-old hybrid battery and a bad break actuator and the owner's not smart enough or doesn't have any interest in taking the battery with him because he's going out to buy a Ford escape or c max now I waltz into the tow lot pay $500 for the whole car with a like new battery in it and many times drive it home with the bad brake actuator No problem at all get around to putting one on it if I want to and if not I just use all the other parts on the car for the four I have running or put them up for a rainy day.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Why the hell do we continue to call that dreck “bumpers”?

The breaks in the front “faring” could possibly be mended with 2-part epoxy, with reinforcement on the back side, say additional plastic strips across the breaks, and/or Fiberglas mesh.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haunt the local pick a part until a compatible year (the front was slightly different on the first couple of years of the 2nd generation) Prius comes in with a pristine front end (and probably a smashed in back or side). Take all the plastic bits you need from it. Including the parts inside the hood for the air intake. Take pictures of the little plastic clips but don't expect to reuse any of them. They will probably fall apart in your hands as they come out. Go to clipsandfasteners.com and buy all the clips you need to reassemble. They sell them in packs at a price usually significantly less than from the dealer. You may not find the wheel well liners at the junk yard. I never did, and I looked for a long time. Do not buy the no name wheel well liners from ebay or amazon. I and another person on this forum tried that and they didn't fit right.

If you are really lucky you can find the front bumper cover (or whatever Toyota calls it) in the same color in the yard. If not, try plastic welding it, or just drill holes near the breaks and zip tie it all together.

That condenser looks really rough. I have never had any luck with the combs which are designed for home or commercial A/C units on car condensers. There never seems to be a clean area that can be used to start the tool to drag it down onto the mashed area. If you have the patience to work your way across the whole thing, make a tool out of some stiff thin plastic, like an old credit card, and pry them up one at a time. You may find that you also need a slightly thinner tool made of something like a yogurt cup lid, to open it enough to get the credit card one in. Once it is all straightened out wash it out (gently), as it is probably also packed up with dirt.

Is Indiana the new state? I believe they salt their roads. Take the appropriate precautions if you don't want it to rust out.

KadMills likes this.
  5. KadMills

KadMills New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just thought I would clarify a couple of things.

New state is Texas and there is no rust. I wasn’t in Indiana long.

I have ordered a skid plate from Prius Off-road, and the rest from RockAuto already.

I am mostly looking for the proper order to attach things. Also what additional plastic pieces I need to find that cannot be ordered.

6. KadMills

KadMills New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pasadena_Commut

It’s struggling with the AC at slow driving speeds. I have checked the Freon weight, fans, and all relevant cooling systems. I am praying the condenser is not toast. It was dumb to leave it exposed for so long. It’s not leaking, but flow is not great.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's struggling with the AC so what are your pressures on a hot day with the air conditioner running in the gauges connected what do you see on the blue and red gauges? The flow of the freon if that's the term we want to use not sure but that would be not your evaporator that would be expansion valve getting clogged I would think that could certainly hold up the flow of freon and slow down the cooling as the refrigeration process has been greatly slowed down or reduced just because of what the expansion valve does I've replaced a few and Toyota Corolla air boxes over the years and even hang on units and 74 TE27s doesn't matter what it is It's a Corolla SR5. So all of these things are available from companies like four seasons The problem is is your expansion valve is in your evaporator case the $3,000 job we're talking about or better generally in my world since I have access to so many of these cars and four on staff right now running this car would just get relegated to fall winter and spring use so just the hottest months it would sit or be driven in the evening or whatever or stripped parts put up and sent away.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Generally you just buy a whole front bumper cover off another car where I am there a dime a dozen You can even get them from the aftermarket for what now $99 or something they're covered by the aftermarket pretty decently The grill just pops in to the hole it was in it's not really held very tightly The grills were the fog lights go that you do or don't have they just pull off so you can put fog lights there or not sometimes the plugs are already there doesn't matter you just wire your own mess and have them come on when the low beams are on or not whatever you're doing The myriad of plastic that goes on the very bottom of the car facing the blacktop is all available in a PVC heavier grade plastic rather than the styrene plastic that was under there initially so when you scrape it on curb bumpers and things like that it doesn't just break and fall down like styrene type stuff does All of those pieces are available pretty reasonably from a bunch of places and yeah for hole doesn't line up big deal you put a punch through it and stick your fastener in and the hole that's off oh well let's just sitting there doesn't matter all of these aftermarket panels are made like that you put it up you eyeball it look at where it goes If a hole or two doesn't line up you just poke one it's nothing to it. But the plastic is better and you may not have to do this again most of that stuff facing the road can be just left off The front bumper cover will not flap in the breeze or anything like that I have the work card done like this and can go 80 miles an hour and there's no noise of anything flapping flexing nothing I do have fender liners in place and all of that but the plastic that goes from the edge of the front bumper cover all the way to the core support and back underneath the vehicle has been gone for years.

9. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The speed dependence suggests that either the fans aren't both working or that the condenser is not letting enough air through. Those cooling fins are really a mess, how much of the stock air flow path remains, 50%, 25%? Straighten those out and wash the dirt out of it (or use one of those foaming cleaners for A/C units) and see if it improves.