1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to reattach part of bumper after it got cracked?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bluesman78, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all-

I don't know exactly how it happend but I think I hit something and the bumper cracked slightly on the undersurface. i don't really care about that. I noticed a small cap between the passenger side front bumper and some undersurface plastic.

I see a hole missing a screw and possibly the screw. Can someone elaborate how to reattach that before I spin my wheels. I guess I'm asking first if a piece is missing and I need to get something else before I start the process. I attached some pictures.

I think this is safe to still drive since I think there are a bazzillion other attachments and I could have been driving with this all along and never known.

Thanks for everone's help in advance! IMG_9515.JPG IMG_9516.JPG IMG_9517.JPG IMG_9515.JPG IMG_9517.JPG

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With all the scratches and scrapes in that area, it looks like what happens when you constantly park against those concrete blockers. I know some people roll into them until the car stops, at that point you've scraped the bumper the whole way to the wheels. Then on the way out, it is ripping your bumper away from the car, and tears like that can happen.

Yes it is safe to drive, and it is generally a plastic clip that keeps it in. Looks like you still have the clip, so just line up the holes and press together.

3. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Any idea why there are 2 holes?

OK so if the clip just goes in the hole then I will try that first. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need something on the other side to attach before I got under the car!

In my defense, I bought the car 5 months ago used and the car was 11 years old with 95K miles.

Also, I live in an urban northeast USA city with pitiful roads, inummerable road hazards, and other drives with complete lack of regard for others :)

bisco likes this.
  4. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That screw appears to be broken and if I align the hole with the screw it just comes right out. Does anyone know how to replace and what the part is?

5. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most of the liners and bar holes use a push in clip to fasten the fender and liner together.

6. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm trying to figoure out the part number from this below diagram. i agree it's a clip so I need to remove the old one and pop in a new one that isn't sheared off. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pull the inner fender liner out with your fingers and there's a bolt right there hiding behind that plastic liner that holds the bumper to the frame.
    Pull the liner away on the other side and you'll see what I mean. Find another bolt and replace it.
    You can take the bolt out of the other side and take it o lowes and find another one. It will be in the pull out drawers under the plastic bags in the screw area.

Bluesman78 likes this.
  8. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK to close this out, I got under the vehicle and forced that screw back into the h ole. it seems to have done the trick. If it happens again, I will probably have to pop out that screw and replace with a bumper clip. I suspect I can beg the local mechanic for 1 instead of pay for a mixed set of these.

SnT08Prius likes this.