1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to reboot Gen II

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrkihn, Mar 30, 2014.

1. mrkihn

mrkihn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had my 06 prius now for 4 yrs and it been pretty reliable so far but lately been having weird little starting issues where I have to hit keyfob button 2 or more times to get it to start , batteries in keyfobs are good . What I want to know is how to reboot the hybrid system . I had similar problems yrs ago with car under warranty and dealer said they did a master reboot . So how can I reboot system with out going to dealer . thank you in advance

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. mrkihn

mrkihn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try running the test with the MFD and check the voltage on your yellowtop. Should be Ok, but recently been several reports of yellow tops not holding up as well as they used to.

If you don't know how to do that, click the link below and follow the instructions there.

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat

Run the test and post back all three of the values you see.

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought an Optima 18 months ago, and had to return it twice because it kept losing capacity and then finally gave up, returned it and bought a Toyota OEM battery from the dealer.

My advice: get a new Toyota battery from the dealer and if you can bring the Optima back and get your money back (it should have a 2 or 3 year full warranty). I bet that Optima went bad.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what do you mean by, " had to hit the key fob to get it to start"? if you want to try rebooting first, disconnect the 12 volt. while you're in there, you can do some testing to see if it's weak.

7. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius reboot/reset/initialize must be done on level ground.
    If not done on level ground (driveway incline).
    Gas guage will be off. Mg2 torque-bias/zero-current adjustment on level ground will also be off.
    There is an incline-o-meter that controls fuel trim on inclines as well as mg2 torque/current consumption on inclines.

Jump starting a prius should be done on level ground if possible. If not possible just reset/reboot/reinitilize the next day or two after 12 volt battery gets charged.

Reboot/reset/reinit. By disconnecting 12 volt battery for about 2 minutes.

The positive battery connector at the battery has two quick disconnect connectors. Disconnect the smaller wire connector first and the larger wire second. After about 2 minutes connect large wire connector first and the smaller wire last.

Driver side window will need reseting just open window half way then raise to fully closed position an hold for one extra second then release. Radio presets will not be lost with the 12 volt battery only disconnected for under about 5 minutes. Trip gauges and ave mpg readings will be zeroed. And fuel trim will be reset and relearned in the next 100 miles.