1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to regsiter a vehicle that has been sitting, for a while.

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by usalvr2, Jan 25, 2012.

1. usalvr2

usalvr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    All,

Thank you in advance for any and all help. This question is, actually about my other vehicle. I, also, own a truck(It is a necessity as I coach a couple soccer teams).

The facts: I was given this truck by my work. Basically, the engine is blown and they were just going to give it away. Thus, I had it towed to my house, and the pink slip is now in my name. But, the issue is registering the vehicle. It is an older truck, 1997, and it has not been registered since 2000(because, it was inoperable-though there was not an inoperable registrations completed- and just sitting in a warehouse). Now, the DMV wants to charge me approximately 4,000.00 to register the vehicle (which is of course, $4,000.00 more than I paid for the vehicle, and truly defeats the purpose, as I cannot afford that).

Thus, I am wondering, is there anyway around such an issue?

One of my thoughts is simply this, if I took it to a junkyard, due to the engine, and transmission, could they salvage it and then would that reset the registration fees(because I don't really care if its a salvaged title, I just need something to carry my soccer goals, and kids/players).

Again, I am not knowledgeable about these matters so if anyone can provide help or advice I would be thankful.

Thank you in advance.

Sinc, -g.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee.....In SOCAL???!!!
    I do not know.

I think you're skrood.
    Depending on your income, you might wanna consider donating it to charity and taking the tax benefit. Then.....when gas goes up this summer, you'll be able to get a reeeeeally good deal on one of the zillions of trucks that folks will be off-loading.

Just a thought.
    I wouldn't even want to guess about what they do in the PRC for re-titling a vehicle!!!