1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove bulb for "snowflake" light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Lumbergh, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All winter I've got this yellow snowflake light on. Anyone ever had that part of the dash off? I'd like to yank the bulb out.

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 24 2007, 10:49 PM) [snapback]411798[/snapback]</div>
    Move to Los Angeles - I don't even know what this bulb looks like.... :D

3. Rxmxsh

Rxmxsh Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 25 2007, 05:03 AM) [snapback]411836[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: I was thinkin' the same thing!

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH has been planning on venturing into the inside of the instrument cluster one of these days, we just haven't had the time lately. when we do, we plan to take pictures.

if you beat us to it, please please take pictures! :)

5. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be happy if the indicator lights weren't so bright. It seems like they match the brightness of the speedometer when it's brightness is at the maximum with headlights on. I run my speedometer at the lowest brightness setting so the indicator lights are rather distracting. I believe that they can be adjusted with the scan tool, but my dealership refuses to make any adjustments. Their argument is that when I sell my car, the next owner might not like the settings that I selected. With logic like that, I didn't stand a chance convincing them, so I haven't pursued it. Has anyone had their dealer adjust the setting, and did it improve things?

6. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Mar 25 2007, 01:49 AM) [snapback]411798[/snapback]</div>
    black electrical tape! I had a similar problem with my surround sound amp. It was so proud that it was surrounding me with sound that it turned on an eerie blue panel light that competed effectively with the TV screen. Now I have to answer questions about what's that tape for.

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Mar 25 2007, 04:03 AM) [snapback]411836[/snapback]</div>
    That's because only the 04 and 05 models have this warning light. :p

8. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Mar 25 2007, 02:15 PM) [snapback]411928[/snapback]</div>
    ...just quote their words back at them - you don't like the settings the previous user chose, please adjust. Even if the car was bought by you new, the dealer and toyota ownded it before you did!

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Mar 25 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]411928[/snapback]</div>
    they can't adjust that, apparently they just don't wanna admit it for some reason.

10. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That wouldn't surprise me. But then, what is the adjustment "DISP EX ON SEN (Display extinction luminous intensity)"? It is described as "To change the brightness of lowering the lights such as the indicator light of the combination meter, A/C indicator light, clock." and it's options are "Light 2/Light 1/Normal/Dark 1/Dark 2."

11. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Seems like such a long time ago that my Prius was new. I was annoyed that apparently the brightness of the indicator lights (when the headlights were on) could be adjusted, but the dealer refused to do it for me. Now that I've traveled into the future and have things available like MVCI and Techstream, has anyone with a Gen 2 tried adjusting the brightness? You'd think that after 16 years I'd be used to it by now, but I still think they are too bright at night.

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sing it: "I wear my sunglasses at night. So I can, so I can...."

OK, seriously, why doesn't this work: When my headlights are on, my dashboard is dark | PriusChat

Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

13. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The dimmer on the dash will adjust the lights on the steering wheel, dashboard buttons, and the brightness of the speedometer, gear selection, ODO, and Ready light. However, the indicator lights (snowflake on road, A/C, and probably something else I can't remember) are fixed brightness at two levels, one really bright when the headlights are off, and dimmer when the headlights are on. The default for the dimmer (nighttime) setting is about the same as the the brightness of the speedometer turned all the way up. I live in an area that is fairly dark, so I dim the dashboard lights with the dimmer wheel. However, when an indicator light is on, it's a little too bright. At least for the Gen 2 this fixed brightness level is adjustable, but the dealer has to do it. I haven't located a manual, and will experiment when I have time, but wondered if someone else had found a way to adjust this setting using Techstream.

SFO likes this.