1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove scotchguard overspray on vinyl / plastic trim

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Grren4ever, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Hi Folks,

I spent the afternoon scotchguarding the rear seats with the waterproofing spray I bought from the local hardware store. I had everything carefully masked off but still got some overspray on the non-cloth surfaces. After a few hours, I noticed the overspray turned white and was difficult, if not impossible to get off.

I used a bucket of warm soapy water and a cloth to try to rub off the residue and it took a lot of effort to get off. I also tried Mr. clean magic eraser and lightly feathered the overspray but that didn't do very much besides remove some coloring from the interior door plastics.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Now that I think of it, I might have been better off not trying to protect the interior fabric in the first place!

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried gentle solvents like alcohol?
    By definition, waterproofing will not be removed by water.

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    thanks, will try that! read online that nail polish remover works too but I think that is probably too harsh for the interior materials

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful as alcohol can discolor some plastics too.

5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    So I did some research on the web and apparently non-acetone nail polish remover does the trick for removing unsightly 3M scotchguard overspray.

Alcohol did not help remove the stains so I purchased a bottle of the nail polish remover from the cosmetics department at the drugstore for just $3.99. After a few dabs with a q-tip, the overspray is happily gone!

Anyone who runs into the same troubles I had, make sure you buy the non-acetone nail polish remover instead of ordinary nail polish remover. Although this substance did not discolor the plastics in the prius, I definitely would not leave it on more than a minute - wipe it off immediately.

Cheers to all, and keep that Prius in mint condition :)

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Halcyon24

Halcyon24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for this--i just got some spots of overspray on the black plastic of my side doors in my new prius. will get some non-acetone np remover next time i go out. Much appreciated.