1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to replace hid head light blubs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by k4141222, May 13, 2007.

1. k4141222

k4141222 New Member

can some one please give me some advise on changing the hid head light bulbs i want to do it myself cause the dealer wants 300 bucks for the bulb not counting labor. I found a pair on Overstock.com for 20 bucks . and i see some moulded plastic that looks like i should pry open with a screwdriver . and i dont want break something thank you kirk

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't know about HID but regular bulbs are covered in the owners manual.

3. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if u have HID's u have to get the d2R socket type bulbs, no ordinary halogens woudl fit there and surely doesnt cost 20

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What year is your car? I'm shocked the HID bulb would require replacement this soon. They should last many, many, many years. We're talking 10 years plus.

As for the bulbs, hate to break it to you but they REALLY need to be replaced in pairs, even moreso than halogen bulbs (although headlights should always be replaced in pairs). The HID's color changes pretty distinctly as they age, a new one and an old one will look very different. In fact Phillips makes a bulb that is designed to replicate the color of a used bulb just for this reason.

I would be EXTREMELY dubious about a $20 solution, ESPECIALLY for a pair. Thats impossible.

http://www.overstock.com/search?SearchType...mp;keywords=HID

This what you found? These are not HID bulbs, they're crappy blue painted halogen knock offs used in ricer cars. These will not work in your Prius with HID.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    twenty bucks for HID lights.... no. the dealer is asking the same price as any other dealer will charge you- that's a pretty common price for HIDs.

the install does not involve any prying apart of plastic. there is a quarter-turn quick-lock plastic cap over the back of the housing. after you take that off, you'll see the metal socket, which you also turn 1/4 turn. then there's a hinged spring clip that you swing off to remove the old bulb. do not touch the new bulb!!!!! then it's a matter of replacing everything.

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 13 2007, 10:00 PM) [snapback]441466[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't had to do this yet, and imagine it will be a long time before I have to do so. However, in the event that the bulb is touched. Would cleaning it with alcohol remove contaminants sufficiently for the bulb to work safely/properly?

Dave M.

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No way in hell could you get the real thing for $20 a pair. That's a joke.

8. banggooooo

banggooooo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He/she is probably referring to new halogen bulbs that are whiter.