1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To Replace Just The Bearing In A Rear Wheel Bearing Hub?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phildo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Phildo

Phildo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Has anyone pulled apart a rear bearing hub and just replaced the bearing on its own?

That would seem a lot cheaper than replacing the entire lot.

There was mention of it here: Rear wheel bearings. | PriusChat

I’ve got a hydraulic press at home, so would prefer to dissect the rear hub and replace just the bearing itself if possible. The decreased cost would also allow me to do both sides.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What you're calling the hub is a Generation 3 hub bearing, which isn't built with replaceable subunits inside. It functions more or less like two angular contact ball or roller bearings facing each other, with tolerances and preloads all fixed by the way it is formed at the factory (which can be no easy trick, if you think about it).

Now, if you swap the original one for a cheap knock-off, you might be able to replace interior parts next time, as it seems some of the knock-offs are just built as a pair of flanges wrapped around a generation 1 hub bearing. Of course, the downside of that plan is that next time can come along extra soon. But the originals aren't built that way.

-Chap