1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Replace Sway Bar Bushings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by EmilyH, Feb 27, 2022.

1. EmilyH

EmilyH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am hearing crunching noises while driving my '05 Prius (270,xxx miles) on warmer days 30F+ and I notice it goes away the colder it gets. I assume this could be my sway bar bushings and/or links. I have had a hard time finding other people who have talked about how to do it step by step or any videos/pictures of a gen 2, many are for gen3 and I do not know how similar they are.
    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do the shocks makes noise when you test bounce them too? Rear Prius shocks get noisy when they get old...

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stab links don’t crunch they squeak or groan. At 270000 miles your gonna need more than new stab links.

Get under there and take pictures of front and rear suspension. Probably very rusted out under there.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually, worn sway bar end links or frame mount bushings cause a rattle noise, mostly over small bumps (like driving over a manhole cover). One way I diagnose that is to stand next to either front door, then "hold onto" the top of the door / roof drip channel and push-pull to make the car rock sideways.

If that's not what you have then you need to fully inspect the suspension for wear and looseness.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. BuyJapanese

BuyJapanese Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree with others that I wouldn't suspect your sway bar end links.

I will take the opportunity here to say that rusty sway bar end links are a ***** to get off. The best answer is power tools and lots of penetrating oil. In my earlier DIY days I spent many hours over several days carefully, and unsuccessfully, attacking them with hand tools. Lately I've been very successful with a steel wire brush in a drill to remove most of the rust, some penetrating oil, and then blasting them off with an impact wrench. It is a very short and easy job if that works.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I only did the job once on my Gen 1. They were kind of rusty but it wasn't too bad. It is helpful that the studs are made to accept a hex key to prevent them from turning while loosening the nuts.

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here in the lower rust belt, experience would suggest that those little hex holes in the stud were designed to round out when you put real force on the attaching nuts with a wrench. Sometimes it works as designed (I buy a lottery ticket on a day like that).

Some end links have plastic injected around the ball stud. Those are great- just cut the link in half with my whiz wheel, then use the cut rod to lever the socket and pop it off the ball. Then grab the ball with vice grips and use an impact gun to spin the nut off.

Otherwise, clean the threads AWAP, try to grab some part of the stud with pliers, and work the nut loose. Or carefully cut the nut and stud off.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.