1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to reset Hymotion battery properly

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by jessebismarcknd, Jun 8, 2009.

1. jessebismarcknd

jessebismarcknd New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am trying to reset my Hymotion circuit breaker. In the manual, it shows a picture with the reset position showing the button protruding quite a ways outward....then if in the "on" position, it is pushed in.

Do you have to use quite a bit of force to get it to go to the "reset" position? When I touch this button, it seems like it really doesn't do anything. I don't want to force it in too much. Maybe their picture is a little deceiving in the manual? It sure looks like to me when it's reset that the button is supposed to stick out quite a ways. Is this correct?

1 person likes this.
  2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never had to reset mine so I don't know. I never had to reset a breaker like that either.

What exactly is wrong with your battery? Are you sure the breaker tripped and needs reset?

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I would get in contact with Hymotion immediately, it is not a rational thing to happen.

1 person likes this.
  4. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The reason I am trying to reset it is due to a problem I started having about a week ago. I had been using the Hymotion system for about 7,000 miles and had not run across any issues (other than the known issue where the 12v battery can be discharge especially in cold weather). I would drive the car everyday and get home and plug it in. Most nights it would sit for about 11 hours plugged in until the next morning. About a week ago, I unplugged it in the morning and hit the power button. It would not start. The headlights worked as well as the interior lights. The light on the dashboard indicating it recognized the key was light up. The taillights would go on if stepping on the brake. However, it would not start. After more research (done on priuschat.com), I found I could disable the Hymotion system completely by plugging it into the bridge plug in the back of my trunk. I did this and the car operated normally and would turn on just fine (of course minus the Hymotion system).

To me, it almost looked as though the Hymotion system was doing the thing it does where it deactivates the power button when it is plugged in as a safety feature to prevent driving it off while plugged in.....except now it was NOT plugged in.

I am guess it's just confused thinking it's probably still plugged in, even though it's not. I tried plugging it in again thinking maybe it might reset something...didn't have any luck there. I tried leaving it plugged in and then tried to start (thinking maybe it might be doing things in reserve)...didn't have any luck there.

In looking at the L5 manual, it shows that you can reset the circuit breaker by pressing a white button. The manual shows that it looks like it is supposed to protrude out quite a bit after pressing it. When I press it, it doesn't seem to protrude at all. I just thought that maybe if I could reset it this way, it might go back to normal.

I've been trying to contact A123/Hymotion for the past three days...I've left voice mails daily and e-mails and haven't heard a word back from them. Are they usually this poor at returning calls to customers? I'm getting a little frustrated!

1 person likes this.
  5. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The best part is that you are under warranty not mater what. The frustrating point is not knowing what to do but, the other good part is that you can operate your vehicle as it was intended to be, a hybrid car.
    I do not know what's the turn around time for their customer service issues, but still, you are under warranty and you should mention to have your general warranty extended because of your lack of use because of malfunction.
    My best advice, have a service Tech repair/upgrade your equipment

1 person likes this.
  6. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I finally got a hold of somebody at Hymotion. It sounds like I will probably have to take it in to get repaired. My closest "Green Chip" center is about 350 miles away, but that one is in Canada so if I went to that one I'd have to wait several weeks for a passport. I think the next closest is in Wisconsin about 700 miles away. Sounds like I'm going to have to have a road trip! I'm just thankful I was able to contact someone. The only thing he had me try was to check that orange service plug thing on the battery to make sure it was pushed down all the way. He said that sometimes that can get jarred lose....but I checked it and it turned out that was okay.

He also said that normally that reset button should be depressed all the way.

Maybe I'll get a fresh battery out of the whole deal.

1 person likes this.
  7. gkalkas

gkalkas New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

1 person likes this.
  8. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I'm sorry to hear such an awkward news, now you will be facing the road trip to the repair station some miles away.
    Keep us posted of the future progress...........

Ramon Acosta and dave77 like this.
  9. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You need a passport now to visit out neighbor to the north? I thought you only had to have one when flying not when driving.

Anyway I wish you luck on getting this sorted out soon. Please let us know what the issue was when you get it fixed.

1 person likes this.
  10. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yep, it looks like it just changed on June 1st of this year (unless this info. is inaccurate).....

Passport Requirements Driving to Canada - Canada Passport Requirements by Land or Sea

Too bad this issue didn't happen last month and I wouldn't have needed a passport!

1 person likes this.
  11. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sounds like a good excuse to get a Passport and visit Canada, to me!

1 person likes this.
  12. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just an update.....after taking the car to Winnipeg in June 2009, they replaced the Hymotion battery. For the first few days the Hymotion system worked fine. Then it was back to a similar situation where the car wouldn't always start when the Hymotion system was activated....sometimes it would; sometimes it wouldn't. If I used the bridge plug in back to bypass the Hymotion, it would always start fine as a standard hybrid.

Sometimes in cold weather I also had additional issues with the Hymotion system seeming to drain the regular 12v battery. I understand there is a new firmware upgrade which might help with this. One of the notes in the new upgrade states....
    -Reduced sensitivity to low 12v auxiliary battery conditions

The location in Winnipeg, from what I understand isn't really a full service Hymotion repair place.....so sometimes they may not be able to diagnose everything as well as the other Hymotion repair locations.

I have another appointment in Denver in a couple weeks. I love the Hymotion system when it works....but for me living 750 or 800 miles or so from the closest Hymotion repair place is a little frustrating! I wish they still had the Minneapolis location open.

13. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The new firmware completely eliminated the 12v battery problem. I'm in Ohio and I have not had a single issue since the firmware upgrade. Other nice features included is that the backup camera works properly and does not flash off by the Hymotion system.

---Kent

14. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is really good to hear concerning the low battery issue. Is there any known issues of the Hymotion system permanently decreasing the life of the 12v battery permanently...or is it just cases normally where the 12v battery discharges but can be fully recovered after charging?

Also, does anyone know if the Hymotion system requires a "better" battery to start vs. a regular Prius? The reason I ask is when I was having issues with the car not starting with the Hymotion system, it always started in regular mode. Perhaps some of this might have been due to a lower than normal 12v battery that might not always fully charge.

Anywa, I am anxious for the firmware upgrade and hope it helps with some of the issues I've experienced.

15. boxer93

boxer93 Psyched for PHEV

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jesse,
    I've been using a stock 12v battery and have not had issue (that I know of) with longevity. I also have the latest firmware and have not had any red triangles this winter. Only once I have had the 13 flashes since the upgrade. IMHO the firmware has helped resovle some of the voltage problems
    chris

16. jessebismarcknd

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That is definitely good to hear....I appreciate your reply!

17. HalBurke

HalBurke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I found the same thing with the reset button, I can't push it in or out. I was trying this because I am getting a blinking red LED light.

Hal