1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to save battery when on vacation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ladykira, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ladykira

ladykira New Member

OK - I'm new to this. My husband bought a used '05 Prius in April, then joined a van pool to his work, so the car doesn't get used as much as it should. I may have (get) to start driving it daily to my job per our dealer, since battery was dead this morning. OK, it jumped fine & dealer says we don't need a new one, the jump did the trick and my drive to the dealer helped.

What if we go on vacation? Can we unplug the battery so it doesn't drain?

Does the smart key in or out effect battery use?

I'll see if dealer can answer some of these but it may be late tonight before I can pick it up.

Thanks!

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There have been several threads about people going on vacation, getting deployed, etc. and needing to store their not-in-use Prius for extended periods of time. I can't locate any of those threads at the moment, but it was suggested (and I believe it also says so in the manual) that if you plan on leaving your Prius alone for an extended period of time, say more than a week, you should disable the SE/SS (Smart Key) system by toggling the switch under the steering column. This will help prevent battery drain.

3. ladykira

ladykira New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jun 6 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]266867[/snapback]</div>
    Brandon - thank you for responding - the "funny" thing is that my husband already DISabled the smart key - I'm glad you verified the "expected" result .

The only other thing I can think of is that he did leave the lights on one night, but they seemed to be turned off "automatically" as they were off the next morning (this was about a week ago). Our garage is very hard to see when we pull in, and there's stuff to avoid so we sometimes put the lights on even in daytime, while we're parking it. Boy, it must have really pulled juice out of that battery! :rolleyes:

If you find any of those other threads, please let me know.

Thanks again.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here's one of the threads I was looking for. The ones I'm thinking about were created well over a year ago, and I haven't come across them yet.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15076

As with most cars, the occasional use/startup falls under the "proper care and feeding of your Prius" guidelines. I've let my 2005 Prius sit unused for a couple weeks without issue, but that's about the longest period of non-use mine has seen.

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was in Gulf Port, Ms. doing hurricane relief work for 3 weeks and had no problem starting my Prius when I got home. ;)

6. Smooth Operator

Twice I have left my 2004 unattended for six weeks in the winter. I disabled the SE/SS. Both times the car was fine when I returned.

7. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How long was it parked when you found the battery dead?

The headlights DO shut off automatically when you open the driver's door, BTW. Many people leave the light in the "on" position all the time.

We're talking about the AUX battery here, and there's nothing magical about the Prius in this regard. Like in all other cars, wants to be kept charged. One easy solution (for vacations, etc) is to hook up a smart little charger to it to keep it topped up. The worst thing you can do for a lead-acid battery is let it sit. They love nothing more than to be charged constantly.

For sure you should disable the SKS when the car is left for a long period.

8. ladykira

ladykira New Member

We drove the car on Sunday. We couldn't start it today, Tuesday. We drive it on average 2-3 times a week since my husband was suddenly offered Van Pool to work. We've only had the car 8 weeks. We don't know all of the rules that the normal Prius owner knows. My husband DID turn off the Smart Key System. We don't abuse our cars. After we had the dealer check it this morning, he is now going to buy one of those charger/jumper systems and keep it in the garage if we don't drive the car, and he'll put it in the car when he does drive it.

Yes, it's the "auxillary" battery we're talking about, not the "fuel cell" that alternates with the engine.

We were given a 3rd car in December, after my dad died. We're trying to keep all 3 running. Which is pretty hard when you're also in a Van Pool, to a job 40 miles away. My husband needs to be part of that as he's having knee problems.

I can't tell if the members here think I'm dumb or something. I'm glad everyone else has been able to let the car sit so long with no problems.

9. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ladykira @ Jun 6 2006, 09:45 PM) [snapback]267103[/snapback]</div>
    Nobody thinks you're dumb. We're just trying to figure out how best to help!

The car should have NO problem sitting for a couple of weeks, much less two days. If your battery is going dead after just two days of sitting, something is most definitely wront. Either with the battery, or with something draining it!

My 2006 Prius is only driven once ever two weeks or so. I haven't had a single issue with it not starting.

10. ladykira

ladykira New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 6 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]267104[/snapback]</div>
    Well, this was the First and only time the battery died. The dealer said it was at 400+ amps?, cannot remember the term, but he said it should be at 300+ and that ours was very good at that 400+ number, and it was fine now. We asked everything we could about what would cause this battery problem. We described all of our "habits", such as they are at this early point.

What about environmental influences, such as extreme moisture, or something in the garage that could effect it? My husband has the usual tools etc, and a Malibu light transformer plugged in near the Prius.

The dealer said emphatically that we are not driving it enough. So I'm going to make sure we drive it more, keep an eye on it, and if it DOES happen again, we could still try a new battery as someone I worked with had a new car (not a Prius) and his was a BAD battery, from the dealer's evaluation. Then, if it happens once more, my husband will have to push them for a better diagnosis or sell the thing I guess.

MAYBE this is why the previous owner sold the car? I never thought of checking the Car Fax on it! :eek:

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it happens again ask the dealer if they checked the charging system and the battery. They need to do both. They most likely did but it won't hurt to ask because sometimes they overlook the obvious. Make sure you don't have an interior light or something that's staying on when it shouldn't.

The Prius aux battery (thats the 12 Volt one that went dead) really isn't very big because it doesn't start the engine or anything. It's about the size of a motorcycle or lawn mower battery so even an interior light can run it down in a day or less.

I don't think it would be anything environmental. The climate where you live is pretty easy on batteries and I can't think of anything else external to the vehicle that would cause the problem.

12. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ladykira @ Jun 7 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]267107[/snapback]</div>
    I think the dealer just doesn't know what else to say. 2-3 times a week is more than enough. Even once a week as long as it's more than a 5 minute trip would be enough. Thinking about that, how long do you drive it during the 2-3 times per week?

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it was a fluke even and it discharged in just 2 days I'd suspect that the old "hatch was ajar" issue may have been at play. While it's possible that there is some other parasitic drain on the system I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet since it was a one-time-only even so far.

Anyway, if the hatch is left slightly ajar it can cause the dome light to remain on in the hatch area and will slowly drain the battery.

If you're driving 2-3 times/wk there's no reason to disable the SKS...it should be OK for 1-2 weeks even when left on.

There is a 'tiny' drain caused by leaving the headlight switch in the "ON" position even though the headlights themselves shut off. Best practice is to turn them to the off position, but with regular driving it's really not important and leaving it in the "ON" position is fine.

So, to summarize:
    1)Always a good idea to have one of the little jumper things in your garage 'just in case'. Mine has a built in air pump so I can use it regularly to pump up the tires to my desired pressure.

2)Go around the car and make sure all the doors and hatch are shut tight.

3)No reason to disable the SKS unless the car will sit, unused, for more than a week. This is one of the best features of the car and it's silly to disable it.

4)If it happens again (ie. discharges without apparent reason in just a few days) return to the dealer an make them check the electrical system for possible parasitic drain.

One last thing...why not make this your primary vehicle? Your other car can't possibly get as good of FE, be better for the environment, or be as much fun to drive....?

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto Evan. It's easy to leave the hatch not-completely-closed, and the trunk light does not turn itself off.

Always lock the car; if anything is left open the car complains about it as a reminder.

15. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Jun 7 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]267082[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. What you need is a "Float Charger", not a regular, manual battery charger. A regular charger will overcharge the battery, and eventually kill it. I bought a really nice float charger at Harbor Freight. It is normally $20, but, like everything else at Harbor Freight, it was on sale for half that. :D
    I use it on my ex-daily driver, which has an Optima Red Top that insists on going dead if I don't drive the car at least once a week. :rolleyes:
    The Harbor Freight one has two big battery clamps. You will need to pop the hood, open the fuse box, and clip the + lead onto that jump starting terminal in there, and put the - onto a good metal ground. If this is an ongoing issue, I would think about making up a quick-disconnect for it.